Chapter 61: One Last Time

Chapter 61:

Mizuki spent the majority of the night awake and crying on her bed. Her mother knew something was wrong when Kei left their house without saying goodbye to her or to Jun. She entered her daughter's room to find her sobbing and that was when she realized that they had most likely broken up. Eventually, with her comforting embrace, Mizuki fell asleep, exhausted from the painful heartache that she felt.

At the same time, Kei laid down on his bed, tears streaming down his face as he sobbed quietly, not wanting to wake up his brother or his mother. He wanted to run back to her house and take it all back, and to ask her to stay. He wanted to be in her arms, to feel her warm body against his, and to see her smile. He wanted so many things, but he knew it was too late.

He had to face reality - it was over between them.

The next morning, Kei woke up, his eyes heavy from the night before, and stared at the ceiling. He grabbed his phone from the wooden nightstand to check what time it was. It was nearly 9 in the morning, and Mizuki's flight was at 5 in the afternoon. She would be leaving for the airport in Tokyo soon.

Suddenly, his phone buzzed, revealing a long text message from Yamaguchi.

Yamaguchi: I heard what happened between you and Toma-san from Mina... You are my best friend, Tsukki, so I will be honest with you. What you did was awful. I know you were just thinking about Toma-san but you shouldn't have broken up with her the night before she had to leave. If you wanted to break up, you should have done it weeks or even months ago. That would have given you two time to heal even if it was just for a little bit. You were only thinking about your needs, which makes you selfish. I'm not angry... Just disappointed.

Kei shut his eyes and furrowed his eyebrows defeatedly - everything Yamaguchi said was true.

"Kei!" Akiteru barged into his room breathlessly, "Mizuki's mom said you and Mizuki-chan broke up! That's... That's not true, right?!"

"I broke up with her last night." Kei mumbled, pulling the blanket over his head.

"What... Why...?" Akiteru grimaced, walking over to his sulking brother, "I thought you wanted to marry her..."

"I do!" He answered sharply, "I want to be with her but..."

Kei trailed off, the gnawing pain he felt resurfacing from his stomach to his chest.

"You're going to Tokyo with her though, right?" Akiteru asked softly, "You have to..."

"I can't..." Kei shook his head, "I can't do it, nii-san..."

"Kei..."

"Just leave me alone..." He murmured quietly.

Akiteru reluctantly left his room, leaving Kei alone with his grim thoughts and tumultuous feelings. His phone buzzed again, and it was a text from Yamaguchi again.

Yamaguchi: We're all leaving for Tokyo in 30 minutes. Be here before it's too late to say goodbye.

Kei took a deep breath and sluggishly made his way to the bathroom. He quickly got ready and trudged downstairs to eat breakfast. His brother and mother didn't quite know what to say, so they ate in silence. After breakfast, they left their house to say goodbye to Mizuki.

As they approached her house, Kei couldn't help but feel immense pressure and anguish. He apologized to Mizuki so many times last night and that felt like it wasn't enough. He wasn't strong enough to face her.

He was weak.

Yamaguchi was the first one to spot Kei, as he was helping Mizuki's mother put the luggages in the van she had rented. Yamaguchi pursed his lips together and sighed, urging for Kei to come closer.