Chapter 41: Surprise

Chapter 41:

"So, when's the date?" Mina asked heartily. 

"Tomorrow night!" Mizuki grinned, plopping down on her bed face first.

"Where's the date going to be?" Rina pursed her lips together curiously.

"I don't know..." She laughed, unable to contain her excitement, "He wouldn't tell me anything! He said it was a surprise."

"What a dork." Rina rolled her eyes jokingly.

Mina threw a pillow at her twin, "I think it's romantic. Tadashi told me he was helping Tsukishima with it yesterday."

"Speaking of Yamaguchi," Mizuki crawled and laid down beside her friend, "What is going on with you two?"

Mina reddened, avoiding her friend's inquisitive looks, "What do you mean?"

"We're not stupid," Rina crossed her arms, smirking, "All the subtle looks, comments, and blushing... Explain yourself."

"I..." Mina sighed deeply, "I think he's very sweet and he makes me laugh."

"So you do like him! Why not go for it?!" Mizuki prompted enthusiastically.

"Because... I should focus on school and our volleyball club," She explained softly, "Besides, he might not like me like that."

"Aw, Mina..." Mizuki hugged her friend sympathetically.

"At least you didn't get rejected." Rina sighed, embracing the pillow that was thrown at her earlier.

"Kageyama didn't reject you," Mizuki pointed out, "He told you that he didn't know if he felt the same."

"He might as well have ripped my heart out." Rina mumbled faintly.

Suddenly, someone knocked on her bedroom door. She sauntered over to see who it was and found Kei smiling affectionately at her.

"Hi princess." He murmured gently.

"Hi!" Her eyes flickered with euphoria as she instinctively threw her arms around him.

Kei bent down to kiss her, then he froze, noticing Rina's smug expression and Mina shaking her head behind them.

"Oh... I forgot that they were going to be here tonight." Kei muttered disappointedly.

"Oh c'mon Tsukishima!" Rina snickered deviously, "We all saw you smooching after your match against Shiratorizawa."

Kei stared at Rina with an "I'm done with you" expression plastered on his face.

"What brings you here? I thought we were meeting tomorrow!" Mizuki jolted up, her mind malfunctioning, "Wait, were we supposed to meet today? Did I get the day wrong?!"

"No..." He reassured her, laughing softly, "I brought you something for tomorrow."

"Oh," She sighed, extremely relieved, "What is it?"

"Yeah, yeah, Tsukishima, what is it?" Rina inched herself in between Mizuki and Kei.

Kei rolled his eyes and grasped Mizuki's hand, tugging her outside of her room so that they could have some privacy.

"Be right back!" Mizuki smiled, shutting the door behind them.

As soon as they were out of her friends' sight, Kei leaned down and skimmed his lips briefly on hers. He pulled away instantly before Mizuki could even have the chance to process what had happened.