Chapter 1: Welcome Back, Stupid

Chapter 1:

Present day

Toma Mizuki never thought that she would ever be back in her hometown of Miyagi. Shortly after moving to Brazil, she found herself and her younger brother adapting to the environment and its unique culture well. Her mother, on the other hand, tried to be supportive and kept an open mind about their new life but her father knew something was wrong. It wasn't until now that Mizuki realized that her mother missed Japan, especially her family, friends, and the career that she had worked long and hard for. Mizuki's father loved her mother so much that only after a year of residing in Brazil, he wanted them to move back to Japan for the sake of her happiness. However, because her mother loved her father that much, she insisted that they remain in Brazil. Eventually, they reached a middle ground where their family would move back to Japan, but her father would stay in Brazil only during the volleyball season. He would return to Japan every chance that he got to spend time with them and they would visit him in Brazil to watch his games. Also, Mizuki's mother decided that it would be best for them to stay in Tokyo instead of Miyagi so that whenever her father came to Japan, he would not be troubled to have to travel five or more hours to get there.

Thus, Toma Mizuki spent her junior high years in one of the most prestigious volleyball schools in Tokyo. Due to her natural skills, well-developed instincts, and her family's support, she soon became part of the top 5 strongest junior high volleyball players in all of Japan. She was particularly known for her devastating left-handed spikes which left her enemies frustrated yet inspired whenever they played against her. Many high schools in Tokyo began scouting her in the hopes of getting her to join their highschool. This included power schools like Itachiyama Academy and Fukurodani Academy. However, like most things in life, things don't always go as planned. For Toma Mizuki, her father's death greatly impacted her and her family, as well as the volleyball industry nationwide. The overwhelming grief caused her to quit the volleyball team in her last year of junior high, and she spent most of her days studying and in seclusion. Thankfully, she had two best friends that were always there for her - Suzuki Mina, and Suzuki Rina.

Mina and Rina were identical twins that belonged in a wealthy family that sold expensive cars. Their mother died shortly after their birth and their father was a businessman who was often abroad attending meetings and selling cars. Their father loved them a lot, however, because of his business, he almost never sees them. Mizuki's family became their second family shortly after they had met in junior high. Mina is an observant and intelligent person who played the setter position in their junior high team whereas Rina is a wild and unpredictable being who played the libero position. They were complete and total opposites but they were true friends to Mizuki. In fact, they were a little too true because when Mizuki told them that her family was moving back to Miyagi, they decided to follow her there too. Their father approved as he had entrusted Mizuki's mother to care for them for him. He even offered her money for the trouble but Mizuki's mother declined politely. She claimed that she would not mind taking care of them, but after careful consideration and the circumstances of her husband's sudden death, the twins' father decided he would not cause trouble for Mizuki's family. Instead, he decided that he would bring over the butlers, guards, and maids from Tokyo in a new mansion that he had bought for his daughters in the Miyagi prefecture. The twins were ecstatic that they would spend their high school lives with their best friend, Mizuki. Mizuki was over the moon too!

~

"So, what club are we joining?" Rina exclaimed as she brushed her hair excessively. The three were currently getting ready for their first day of high school in Karasuno High.

"I don't know. Maybe... volleyball?" Mina blinked and gazed at Mizuki, who avoided eye contact with her.

"Sorry, but I'm not planning on playing volleyball," Mizuki sighed as she placed her T-Rex necklace around her neck, "I'm thinking of joining the history club... Or maybe even the paleontology club, if they still have it."