Chapter 37: Uh Oh

Chapter 37:

2 and a half years ago, Tokyo

Mizuki attended Shoto Junior High School in Tokyo when she and her family returned from Brazil. That was also where she met her two best friends, Mina and Rina. In her 2nd year of junior high, she was a member of two clubs: the volleyball club and the student council.

Mizuki met Miya Osamu as they were in student council together. They shortly became friends after discovering their similar tastes in food and music. His twin, Miya Atsumu, would frequently visit them just to annoy his brother, and eventually, Mizuki herself. He loved riling her up and annoying her mostly because she could retaliate with a quippy comeback.

Mizuki never really liked Atsumu - in fact, it baffled her how different he was from his twin, Osamu. Osamu was kind, sweet, and helpful whereas Atsumu was like a reincarnation of the devil. He was brash, condescending, and selfish. For some reason though, many girls liked him, and he would make fun of them after he rejected their advances.

He had dark, black hair which was flipped to the right side, making it somewhat easier to distinguish him from Osamu. He also had a slight undercut, and his eyebrows were black. Additionally, Mizuki heard him say once that he wanted to dye his hair blonde so that he wouldn't look like Osamu. What irritated her the most was his stupid smirk, which was practically glued on his smug face every second of every day. Atsumu and Mizuki never got along, and she was fine with that until she saw him in a different light.

One day, it was raining heavily after school and she didn't have an umbrella. Usually, she would get a ride home with Mina and Rina but they were absent for the week because they were visiting their father in America. Mizuki wondered if she should run for it as her house was only a fifteen minute walk away. Still, she would be soaking wet if she sprinted home. Then, out of the blue, Atsumu walked out of the building under an umbrella with his teammates from the volleyball club. Their eyes met, and a jovial smirk formed on his face.

"Hah. Good luck walking home." He told her as he walked down the stairs.

"Thanks!" She sarcastically shouted at him. Atsumu was infuriating.

As soon as he was out of Mizuki's sight, she took a deep breath and decided to make a run for it. She used her jacket as a makeshift umbrella and began sprinting towards the front of the school. To her surprise, she discovered Atsumu there, standing, seemingly waiting for her. His friends were gone as he was the only one left there.

"What-"

Atsumu rolled his eyes impatiently, his bag slung on his shoulder.

"Don't start. Just let me walk you home." He stated nonchalantly.

Before she could protest, he tugged her arm gently, motioning for her to get under his umbrella. She didn't argue with him, and the two proceeded to walk to her house together. This was a whole new caring side of Atsumu that Mizuki had never experienced, or even seen, before. They walked in silence, and as soon as they arrived at her house, she tried to thank him, only to be interrupted.

Atsumu glared at her and said, "Don't forget an umbrella next time."

A few weeks after that, Mizuki was walking down the hallway of her school when she came across Atsumu sulking on the staircase. Out of courtesy, she asked if he was alright.

"Why do you care?" He spat out, his arms crossed as he avoided her gaze.

"I don't care," Mizuki retorted bitterly, "I just thought I'd be nice and ask."

She spun around to leave but suddenly, she felt him grab her hand. His expression seemed to have softened, suggesting that he didn't mean to be so callous towards her.