Chapter Twelve

Emily

Taking off her glasses, Principal Pinning rested her forehead against her palm and took a minute to breathe.

I glanced at Shelby, sharing a short moment of confusing uncertainty before looking back to the principal.

Her head was still on her hand, elbow settled on the big desk in front.

I suppose she was taking in and figuring out the details of our stories, trying to decide who was in the wrong.

It certainly wasn't me. I was almost positive that Shelby would end up being the one in trouble.

"I'm afraid there's a possibility of expulsion, Emiline. As a school with a zero tolerance violence and bullying policy, you should've known that we don't accept this behavior."

"She hit me first!" I pointed out, motioning toward Shelby, "Everything I did physically was done in self-defense, and anyway, if this is a non-bullying school, why aren't you expelling the girl who actually bullies my sister constantly?! You saw Sarah's eye! You know just as well as I do that she didn't get that from running into a pole! She's been threatened by Shelby here, and that's why she didn't tell you it was her. You can't expel me!"

"I would never say one mean thing to Sarah! I hardly know the girl. How could I be her bully?" Shelby refuted, completely lying.

Principal Pinning looked through our school record, obviously checking for any history of violence. Unfortunately, the brat had none, and I had a history of "bad attitude" with a few teachers.

"Girls, we need to be calm. I'm going to question Sarah myself and see if we can get any further clarity on the situation. You are both telling me drastically different stories, and one of you is lying."

"It's not me!" I replied, placing my hands on my hips, "What? Because I have pink hair, it makes me the criminal?!"

Shelby snorted, "No one said nothing about your hair. That's not very respectable of you, Emiline."

"Oh, but walking around with the back of your hair unironed and frizzy isn't very respectable either," I muttered.

Shelby's mouth dropped, and she instinctively reached to run her fingers through the back of her hair.

"Emiline!" Pinning warned, a scolding tone apparent in her voice.

Shelby pouted, forcing a whimpering noise as if she were about to cry.

I was basically already getting expelled, right? Did it matter if I said everything I was already thinking?

"It's stupid that I'm getting expelled instead of my sister's bully. You do know that if you expel me, Sarah will only get bullied more by her, right? I've been super duper careful since that day she had a black eye to never leave her alone with Shelby, and now I can't do anything about it because you're expelling me for self-defense. Great system," I commented.

Also, expulsion is a fantastic way to get me blacklisted from every university. Thanks, Mrs. Pinning, for ruining my entire future and Sarah's well-being while you're at it.

"Please remain calm, Emiline. I'm going to ask a few witnesses and get a full story."

Shelby's phone dinged with a notification, causing her to jump up out of her seat. "I've got evidence that she hit me, and that I was just defending myself!"

Great.

"They probably didn't start recording until after she hit me!"

Shelby played the video, basically showing that I suddenly kicked her shin in before we started swinging punches. I was correct in assuming they didn't start recording until after the brat's heavy hand crossed my face.

"See? I was defending myself," Shelby blinked innocently, feigning victimization. "We also can't have Sarah telling the story. She'd obviously go with her twin sister's story. I think it could be biased!"

I ended up having to call my parents that day, cutting their work trip short. Over the phone with the principal, they somehow still managed to reduce my punishment from expulsion to a short-term home suspension. Shelby received the same punishment after Sarah's side of the story equated with mine. Parent conferences were scheduled for both of us the next day, seeing as both my parents were a flight away for the time being.

"I'm leaving too," Sarah decided, seeing as Brandon was taking me home after the suspensions took effect.

"I'm afraid you can't, sweetie. Unless you have a guardian to sign you out or are 18 or older, we can't allow you to leave the premises. It would be marked as truancy on your record," the lady at the front desk explained.

Sarah's lower lip quivered slightly.

"Don't worry, okay? Mom and Dad are on the next flight out and if they're not back by the time the day is over, I'll have Brandon drive back with me to pick you up. Shelby is suspended too, so she won't be there to bother you," I reassured my sister, giving her a quick side-hug.

"I shouldn't have told you about my problems and let you get involved. This is my fault," she muttered spitefully.

"Ugh, don't. I would've found out and done the same crap regardless," I reminded her.

"I'm so sorry."

* * *

"That was ridiculous for that school to even consider expelling you," Brandon pointed out as we pulled into the driveway.

"Yeah," I laughed bitterly, tears coming to my eyes, "You want to know the best part? The school barely acknowledged all the bullying Shelby did to Sarah, even after she told them the whole story. She teased her, called her names, beat her up, and flat out made my sister afraid of coming back to school, but I'm the one who nearly gets expelled! Shelby only got punished because of my parents, but if this were all up with the school, I would've been freaking expelled!"

"That's so wrong. Honestly, you shouldn't even go to that school. Too bad Sarah didn't stick up for herself either. She pretty much let you get in trouble for her," he added, taking the keys out.

My stomach turned. "Well, Shelby does freak her out. She intimidated her, and Sarah is a really quiet person. She does need me."

"But does she? I mean, she will have to deal being by herself at school for three days. Is that really helpful?" Brandon pointed out.

"Shelby won't be there to bother her either, so at least I did that. I mean, the other girls are only mean to her when that brat is around. Other than that, I don't think they acknowledge her," I replied, feeling slightly defensive.

"If you say so."

Was he right though? Did Sarah really need me at school?