Chapter Four

Sarah

Sitting at the table with Emily, we glanced back at the child who had once been my sister's doll. She was walking around the house and picking up and dropping random things to see how heavy they were.

"So... What are we going to do with her?" I asked Emily.

"I mean— I'm pretty sure we have to keep her. We can't just send her to a foster care system. She's technically been with us all these years. I suppose I'm responsible for her," She replied, cringing when Rosie dropped a glass cat figurine, causing it to shatter into several pieces.

"It broke," Rosie announced before walking away and leaving it there.

Emily sighed, dropping her chin into her hand. "Okay, don't worry about it," her voice trailed off weakly.

"You're right, but do you think you're responsible enough to handle a child on your own? Neither of us can drive or pay bills. You can't even discipline the girl and she was literally your doll," I pointed out.

"I don't want to scare her," she argued, then glanced back at me, "You remember how Mom used to make us feel every time we made a mistake... I don't want to make her feel the same way. She's just a kid."

"Yeah, I know. Still, you can just tell her that she shouldn't be dropping things on the floor. You don't have to say it rudely, just use some authority," I suggested.

I then watched my sister get up and walk into the hallway.

"Hey, Rosie. I get you're bored, but it's not very nice to drop things on the floor. If you want to, you can pick things up, but please put them back where they were in a gentle way."

I then heard another glass thing shatter across the wooden floor. "But then it won't multiply."

"We don't exactly want the object to multiply. We need it to stay exactly as it is, so can you please be more careful and put things down more nicely?" I heard my sister ask her.

"Can you stop being so boring?" Rosie asked my sister in a rude manner.

Sighing, I got up and walked over to see that it was the glass of the picture frame that had broken. If Emily wasn't going to be able to discipline the pain-in-the-butt, I'd probably have to.

"Rosie, you cannot speak to Emily that way. She took care of you for so many years, and you're talking to her like that. You need to be more nice," I told her, trying to sound more like a scolding mother.

"I don't know if I want to take orders from an 'insecure leech,'" Rosie rose her dainty eyebrows, crossing her arms like a bratty child. She used the insult Emily used on me once.

"Hey, no name-calling," Emily tried to use more authority.

"That's what you called her! Why do you get to call Sarah an insecure leech, but I don't?" The girl argued, looking between the both of us.

My sister sighed and looked over at me apologetically. She crouched down to her level and told her, "I shouldn't be calling her that either. It's mean of me, and I was trying to hurt her feelings. You shouldn't try to hurt anyone's feelings."

"Oh, so you guys get to be interesting with your insults, but I have to be the boring one. That makes so much sense," said Rosie sarcastically, rolling her eyes.

"Nice isn't boring," Emily frowned, crossing her arms.

"When you guys aren't throwing insults left and right, it's freaking boring, so yes, nice is boring," Rosie explained her logic.

My sister looked at me wordlessly, to which I shrugged. What else were we supposed to tell this brat?

"How about we play a fun game of soccer?" She randomly redirected the conversation.

"You hate it," Rosie remembered.

"Yeah, but Sarah's day has been less than fantastic, so let's do something that'll make her feel better," she whispered to Rosie, thinking I couldn't hear her lowered volume.

I felt a hint of a smile come over me as Emily got Rosie to begrudgingly do something kind for me. My dramatic sister didn't like soccer in the slightest, but I knew she played it with me when she wanted to cheer me up.

"Can you please grab her soccer ball? Sarah will set up the cones in the back, and I'll change into more comfortable shoes," Emily politely commanded us before walking off to the lower closet.

Rosie rolled her eyes before dragging herself up the stairs, leaving me to "cone duty."

I turned around, heading outside to grab the cones. Once I picked up the stack, I placed two on both sides of the field to make the "goalie nets" for us to kick the ball into.

"How's your eye?" Emily asked, coming from behind me.

"It's less painful if I don't touch it," I answered, trying not to think about what happened. Tears threatened at the memory, so I did my best to ignore it.

"You're not taking the bus anymore," she told me, crossing her arms, "I'm sorry... Just, I wish you had told me. Why didn't you?"

I sighed shakily, "Can we not talk about school? I'm really not in the mood, Emiline."

Emily's eye twitched at the use of her real name, and she looked back at me, "Okay. Just talk to me when you're ready, please."

I felt my voice take on a bit of an attitude as I answered, "I will."

A soccer ball thumped against the back of my leg, and I saw Emily's humanized doll standing behind me. "Are we going to play?"

"Oh, guess you're late to the party! I'm already winning!" My sister kicked the ball away from my ankle and began to play.

"I just brought the ball! You can't make any shots without a ball!" Rosie argued, beginning to run after her.

I jumped into position, making sure to block her goal.

We did end up playing for a little while, actually dividing into teams the best we could. Since the other two were less experienced, they teamed up.

I found amusing that even though my sister claimed to not care for the game, she made a huge deal out of winning. "Oh, who are the winners?" She gloated, doing a victory dance.

Rosie seemed to have fun as well, yelling competitive insults against us every time she made a goal, "Ha! You're the experienced soccer player?"

I obviously went easy on them, allowing them to win so they wouldn't feel bad.

In the end, we were all laughing at each other, our spirits way more lifted than from before we started playing.

"Emily, I suppose you aren't hungry for dinner."

"What? I'm starving!"

"Why? You ate dirt!"

Rosie and I broke into giggles, giving each other high-fives as Emily jokingly grew offended.

"Hmmph!"