The price of keeping secrets (Part 2)

Late at night when Lhori got back to her room, she looked at her phone for the first time this evening. There was a notification with a message from Lucifer. She opened it. He wrote a couple of hours ago.

You're restless. Did something happen?

She looked at her watch. It was already one in the morning. She quickly tapped her reply.

Something peculiar did happen. I'll call you in the morning.

She didn't even manage to put the phone down when it started ringing. She frowned and quickly picked up, afraid the loud ringtone would wake the rest of the family.

"Lucifer? Are you not sleeping yet?" she asked in a hushed voice, sitting on the bed.

"How could I sleep? You didn't respond to my message earlier, and I'm sensing you are stressed out. I was worried. What's happening?"

"You won't believe who is a new tenant in my parent's house."

"Tell me."

"Remember the weird guy that bumped at me at the theatre couple of weeks ago?'

"Are you kidding?" Lucifer asked, surprised, his voice was concerned.

"Afraid not. My parents love him. He seems to be a perfect tenant, very kind and helpful. During the dinner he blabbered out that we met in London, putting me on a very uncomfortable situation."

"What an idiot."

"Actually, I don't think he is. He seemed like he was just telling a funny story, but I have a feeling that it was all planned. Like to the exact moment, he pointed that out. I think he is much sharper than he lets out. Then he started to ask an awful lot of questions about my job and exchange program."

"That doesn't sound good, Lhori," said Lucifer after a pause. "Can you come back earlier?"

"You know I can't. Tomorrow is Rosie's birthday party, and on Sunday we go to the funfairs. I can't miss any of this. Besides, he is living in my parent's garage! I can't just pretend I don't know that and run back to Devildom!"

"Then I'll come to you," he said impatiently.

"No, Lucifer," she protested, although deep inside, she wished he was here with her. "You have the meeting with Diavolo tomorrow. Nothing is happening just yet. I'll try to talk him up, to see if I can find out what is he scheming."

"Are you certain? I can be with you in fifteen minutes."

"I'll be fine. I didn't mean to worry you."

"All right, then. But if anything happens, you have to call me right away, ok?" Lucifer insisted.

"I will. We should go to sleep now. It's late."

"We should. I miss you, Lhori."

"I miss you too."

"Sweet dreams, my love."

***

The next morning was quite hectic with all preparation for the party. It was only shortly before the guest started coming that Lhori found a moment to have a little alone time with her little sister. They were sitting in Rosie's room, Lhori was brushing her long hair.

"Tell me, Rosie, what do you think about Noah?"

"Why do you ask?" the little girl asked suspiciously.

"He is practically living with you guys. I'd like to know what kind of person he is."

"He's very nice. He fixed my bike, and he often helps me with my math homework."