XVIII

I looked up from Kodiak's chest to look at his face, he looked really peaceful

I slowly got out of bed and was heading for the bathroom when I heard his phone vibrate from the bedside table, I looked over at him and thought, 'he won't mind if I take peek, right? I mean, I borrow his phone all the time.'

I walked over and picked up his phone, I looked at the notification and saw an unknown number, I pressed on the notification that took me to the messages app,

'Don't forget about our plans for tonight.'

'I'm already in NY, meet me in my apartment later.'

'I miss you. I hope you missed me too.'

and there was a picture attached to it,

I placed the phone and inhaled a shaky breath, 'I won't cry, I won't cry

I placed the phone and inhaled a shaky breath, 'I won't cry, I won't cry. I should've seen this coming.' I scolded myself in my head.

I moved to pick up my clothes and prepare my belongings to leave.

I heard Kodiak move on the bed, "Hey, why are you getting dressed? Are we leaving to get your stuff?" I didn't answer him and instead moved to go to the bathroom to finish changing.

I heard him lean over and grab his phone,

"Fucking shit." I heard him mutter under his breath. He then rushed to follow me into the bathroom but I had closed the door and locked it.

"It's not what it looks like, Jullie." he said through the door while trying to open the door.

I didn't answer him and just finished getting dressed.

I opened the door and saw him waiting for me beside the door, I paid him no mind then moved on to pick up the bag I had with me and my phone.

"Baby please listen to me." He gripped my waist then turned me to look at him.

He wiped the tear that slipped from my eye, "I'm sorry you had to see that, but it's not what it looks like. It's been weeks since I last talked to her."