New Book - Beyond Doubt

Prologue

As the second limo rolled into the driveway, she couldn't shake off the eerie feeling that suddenly engulfed her. It was as if something alien was about to step out of the dark tinted, black vehicle and uncomfortably, she fiddled with her bracelet in an effort to shake off the nerves.

Like she had been trained, she nervously put on her best fake smile and waited with abated breath as the chauffeur stepped out from the driver's seat and opened the passenger door facing her direction. A couple of second passed, and she could faintly hear chatter from the vehicle, and then one long leg stepped out of the limo, followed by another. She managed to catch a glimpse of the baby blue socks plastered with sunflower doodles before the very tall stranger's pants covered his legs.

She smiled to herself secretly, amused and yet equally excited. It wasn't until she looked up and took in the full figure of the stranger standing some hundred feet away from her that she had her breath taken away. It was the second time that night that she felt so...breathless at the mere sight of a complete stranger. Perhaps the very notion of the show might have been the reason that every time a guy stepped out of the limo, the nagging question kept creeping up on her, "Could this be him?". She was after all there to find the love of her life, the very elusive "love of her life".

He smiled tentatively at her, his eyes glimmering in the dark of the night. Celeste knew right then, she was in trouble. Not because of his good looks, or how exceptionally tall he was, he had a presence. Like, the guy that shows up at a high school party and the whole room goes quiet. "Breathe, breathe, breathe. Keep it cool. Keep it cool." She repeated to herself, trying but failing to not ogle the very handsome man as he leisurely made his way down the pave, every step drawing him closer to her.

"Celeste..." His voice was deep and controlled. Even as he stood towering over her and offered her a handshake, the whole scene was lost on her. Lost on this mystical yet breathtaking stranger standing in front of her, she continued with exerted effort to keep up the fake smile and with what came out as a whisper than intended, she nervously let out, "Hi there..."

"So, I was told you like sunflowers?" the stranger probed, somewhat uncomfortable as the words came out rehearsed. She nodded awkwardly, pretending to not have figured out where he was going with the question.

"Well, if you find me later on in the evening, I might have a bouquet of sunflowers for you..." he bit his lower lip and tucked his hands in his pockets, he was as nervous as she was and that gave Celeste some semblance of comfort as she chortled lightly. " Oh yeah? I am definitely going to hunt you down then." She smiled up at him, trying not to make the awkward exchange any more uncomfortable than it already was.

"Alright then, I'll see you in there." He gave her one last blight smile as she nodded at him, then he turned to walk towards the mansion's main entrance. He spotted some of the men peeking outside through the window, probably weighing up competition. It wasn't until he had disappeared inside the mansion that Celeste realised he didn't get his name. She smiled knowingly to herself, 'typical Celeste'.

As Matteo entered the mansion and took in the sight in front of him, he was more convinced than ever that he had made a mistake showing up that night.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My new book, Beyond Doubt, launching this upcoming Friday - 4th of September. I cannot wait to share it with you all. 

Look out for it x