Chapter 1

-: Chapter 1:-

“And that is how you create sulphuric acid.” My science teacher, Mr. Blackburn was telling the already half-sleeping class.

I didn’t understand why we, a group of sixteen to seventeen year olds, would ever need this information. When in my life would I need sulphuric acid?

Thankfully, the bell rang before Mr. Blackburn could bore us any longer. The class was filled with sounds of rustling as everyone packed up their books and practically ran out of the room.

I would’ve done the same, hadn’t my name been called at the last second. “Crystal?”

I turned around to face my teacher. “Yes?”

Mr. Blackburn was a reasonably thin man, well into his forties, with dark hair that was thinning at a quick pace.  He ran a hand through said hair and took off his glasses, setting them on the desk. “I’m going to need to do something. Is that okay?”

I shrugged. “Well it depends on what that something is.”

“I’m going to need you to tutor someone.”

“That someone being…?” Jeez, this guy needed to get to his point. I shifted from one foot to the other, already knowing that I was late for my next class.

“Jaspar Daniels.” I saw him cringe a little at the name. Jaspar was a delinquent of sorts. He hardly ever talked, usually keeping to himself, and was always too distracted to do any work. By his expression, I could tell Mr. Blackburn expected a different response from me. Probably something along the lines of “Oh my God! Not him! He’s so antisocial!” or “Get another nerd to do your dirty work.” Instead, though, I just nodded, keeping my expression blank.

“Okay.”

“Okay? You’re actually agreeing?” the tone he used in his voice was quite amusing.

“Yeah, I’ll do it. It’s not too bad, right?”

Mr. Blackburn shook the surprised expression he wire right off his face, finally seeming to get back to reality. “Thank you so much for this Crystal. I don’t know what I’d do without you.”

“Probably learn how to teach.” I muttered under my breath. I think he heard me.

“I’ll let him know. Tutor sessions start tomorrow.”

“Okay, I’ll make note of that.” With one last bye, I made my way through the vacant hallways and to my next class. I checked my phone for the time. I was ten minutes late.

Thanks Mr. Blackburn.

:-:-:-:

“You’re what? Him? Wha- “

I rolled my eyes at my best friend. “For the love of God, Sophia! Let me tell you yet again. I am tu-tor-ing Jas-par Dan-i-els to-mor-row.” I said for the umpteenth time, breaking down every syllable so she could somehow get it through her head. Sophia may be getting straight A’s in every single one of her classes but she could be really stupid.

It was now her turn to do the eye rolling. “I heard you the first time. I just can’t process this. Jaspar Daniels? No one has ever heard him speak! How on earth are you expected to tutor him if the guy’s mute?”

“I don’t know, Soph. I’ll get him to speak.”

“Next!” the lunch lady yelled. I hadn’t even noticed we reached the front of the line. I got a pizza and chocolate milk for lunch. At the last second, I grabbed a cookie which earned me a glare from the lunch lady.