Chapter 12

-: Chapter 12 :-

The news of the Blanchette robbery spread around quickly through the papers and around the town. The police were on a desperate search for the culprits - a.k.a. my friends and I.

The very thought had my stomach twist uncomfortably. I didn't know how Jaspar did it. Act so nonchalant when he was wanted for a crime. For multiple crimes, in fact.

What's worse is that this time there was footage. Although Sophia had the brilliant idea of destroying all the security cameras around the house before we left the house, we managed to miss one.

Thankfully, we were still wearing the ski masks so our identities weren't completely out in the open.

That didn't help with the nerves, though.

I had become so damn paranoid that I became startled at the slightest touch. People had started to try not to catch me off guard so as to avoid having me freak the hell out.

For the following month, I was constantly on my toes, waiting for the inevitable to happen. We were bound to get caught at one point, right?

Jaspar wasn't making it any easier, either. Oh no, since I was dating Seth, he made me pinky promise I wouldn't give in to the guilt and tell him. Yes, pinky promise. I swear that boy is all kinds of weird.

Not only was I drowning in guilt and paranoia, but I couldn't even talk to anyone about it! Sophia and Jaspar both refuse to talk about it at all costs and now I couldn't even breathe a word of it to my boyfriend.

And then there was the Emily problem. Since I can't tell Seth about being involved in the Blanchette robbery, I couldn't bring up the questions I had about her room being filled with pictures of him. Not without seeming that I stalked his ex.

I did try to bring up the topic of Emily and his breakup though, trying to see if he would hint at something, but all he would say about the topic was that the two of them were over for good this time and that he's pretty sure Emily was over him by now.

Of course, this didn't help my suspicion at all, so instead I found myself paying very close attention to their body language whenever they would talk, because, of course, they still kept in touch since their families were close and all that.

Let's just say that I am complete shit at reading people.

Still, I had a very uneasy feeling about Emily Blanchette.

"Crystal? Are you listening?" Seth's voice brought me back to what was happening around me.

I looked at him, his bright blue eyes twinkling with amusement. His smile was warm, his lips looking softer than rose petals. I wanted to kiss him senseless.

It had been around a month and a half since we started dating, and honestly, it was wonderful.

He treated me like a queen, often treating me to surprise dates and bought me gifts. A lot of gifts. Even though I denied most of them, it was the thought that counted.

"Yeah, of course I'm listening." I laughed.

Seth's brow raised in question as his warm smile transformed into a smirk. "Oh really? What did I say then?"

"Uh...something about the Winter Festival coming?" a blush crept across my cheeks as he laughed. He was right, I was not listening.

"You're half there. I just asked you if you wanted to go to the Winter Festival with me?"

Oh, right. "Yeah, it sounds like fun."

His bright smile that I adored returned to full-force. He always seemed ecstatic whenever he asked me out. "How does Saturday sound?"