Chapter 29

"There is no coming back from this."
—Frei Fuyuki

The Empress | Chapter 29

"Due to violating the rules, Echizen Ryoma-kun is hereby ordered to leave the camp."

"Koshimae?!"

"Ryoma-sama?!"

"Echizen!"

"Echizen..." watching his underclassman, Momoi protested, "Co... Coach!! Don't you think this is too harsh!" 

"Yeah!" Kintaro yelled, "Koshimae hasn't done anything wrong! I object! I object!"

Sanada frowned, "Foolishness."

"That's right." Atobe added, "He did that knowing what would happen."

Ryoma didn't even hesitate as he bowed to the Gatekeeper, "Please take care of Tokugawa-san." before walking past all the middle-schoolers.

Ryuzaki gasped with a hand over her mouth. For Ryoma to interrupt like that. He must have really wanted to protect Tokugawa. Not that she could blame him; Byodoin was being excessively cruel to win and Ryuzaki didn't want to see the torture continue. But she also knew how passionate Ryoma is about tennis. He would have done everything possible to make it as one of Japan's representatives. 

Smith, who watched the scene with the rest of his team, had a bad feeling about this. If Ryoma was to leave the camp then he could only imagine what she would do. Fuyuki was strong but was she strong enough to...

The Seigaku freshman heard many protests to the announcement but Ryoma didn't stop walking.

"Echizen Ryoma!"

Hearing the rage in his voice, Ryoma turned just in time as the ball flew past him and hit the water tower behind. 

"WATCH OUT!" 

"LO-LOOK! THE WATER TOWER IS...!?"

Ryoma was surprised when the tower fell just a few inches from his spot. Luckily, he was only drenched in water. He could only glare at Byodoin as he promised himself he could defeat the ruthless high-schooler.

"Brat... seems you have escaped with your life intact."

Ryoma picked up his wet cap, "The next time we meet, I'm going to beat you. So wait for me."

"There will be no second chance... there is no next time for you."

As Ryoma had a staredown with the male, he thought about Fuyuki. His dear step-cousin would be heartbroken when she came back. But Ryoma was infinitely grateful she wasn't here right now.

"Ryoma-sama!"

"Ryoma-kun!"

"Echizen!"

He heard his classmates yell behind him as he left the camp.

* ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ *

When the pinkette got up in the morning, she and Aida found a note that said Fuyuki already dressed and headed out for breakfast first. The beauty was kind enough to let Momoi sleep in after she fainted yesterday.

Momoi felt embarrassed when she woke up. Hopefully, Fuyuki didn't think she was a pervert.

The strange thing was Aida said she wasn't sure when the beauty slept. When Aida fell asleep, Fuyuki wasn't there but her butler informed her that Fuyuki would sleep later and for Aida to go to bed.