Chapter 23

"If you have no intention of taking me seriously, we might as well quit."
—Frei Fuyuki

The Empress | Chapter 23

"S-So, when is Frei-chan available to play our game?" Smith cut in. He wanted the beauty's attention on him again, not Echizen Ryoma.

"Hm," The beauty hummed before facing him, "How about now?"

"Yuki," Ryoma stared at the beauty and grabbed her hand under the table. His hazel eyes tried to convey the conflicting feelings he felt at the moment. 

Squeezing his hand in return, Fuyuki conveyed her reassurance.

Ryoma knew she was strong. Too strong at times, but that never stopped him from worrying about his step-cousin. She could be impulsive sometimes and it made the freshman anxious on her behalf. The beauty wasn't always like this; she used to be more sad and lonely than anything else. Maybe even a crybaby, but not impulsive. So it took a while for him to get used to. 

Even though Ryoma knew she is most likely to win against the foreigner, he didn't want her to play against the older male; what if this only encourages him to keep challenging her in hopes of a date. No, that won't do at all.

Ryuzaki looked between the Prince and the beauty. She wasn't sure how she felt. The two clearly had a special relationship but it didn't seem like it involves anything romantic—not yet at least.

Fuyuki released her childhood friend's hand gently and stood up, "Yuki is going to go get changed." 

Haru and Ryoma followed, much to everyone's confusion.

"Wait.. don't tell me that perverted butler is going to change her again nya!" Kikumaru said in shock, then anger. The others had told him what happened and the cat-like male was still not over how the butler had changed the beauty in the locker room.

"What?!"

"Change her?!"

"Why is Echizen going too?!" 

"Don't tell me-"

"-he's going to watch?!" someone said in horror.

If the Prince had heard what was said about him, he would have felt indignant.

* ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ *

The beauty returned to her room. It was located right across the boys' rooms and just as small—if not, a bit bigger. But because she's the only girl in the camp, she had the whole room to herself so no bunk beds. Just one single bed, a desk, a vanity set with a mirror, her closet, and a balcony with a great view of the courts. Thankfully, there was also a small bathroom attached. Kurobe had considered her circumstance—sole girl in the all-boys camp.

With a quick scan of her closet, Fuyuki picked one of her many her tennis attire. 

Ryoma was currently sitting on her bed while frowning at her back. She didn't have to look at him to feel his intense stare.

"What are you thinking Yuki?" he finally said.

Fuyuki finally looked back at him and smiled. "Don't worry, Ryo-chan. Yuki isn't careless enough to lose." She thought it was adorable how he still worries about her.