Childhood

Ne. Sarutobi.

A girl about four was having an already very common, but very uncomfortable, conversation for the eldest, as it was difficult to respond.

What's going on?

Why don't we have Mom and Dad?

That question still surprised the eldest, but with the same sadness as always, the girl always got the same answer. That I was already beginning to hate.

Nothing.

"Get in with someone else" said the girl about six years old as she beat two boys who were beating her brother a few moments ago.

The children barely managed to escape from it. Once they were out of reach, he turned to see his brother who was on the ground with scratches on his knees and multiple blows on the rest of his small body.

"You didn't have to defend me, I can defend myself, I turn your sight away by avoiding looking at it".

"No, I don't. You couldn't" she replied as she approached her hand so he could take it.

He took it reluctantly, but it didn't take long for a big smile to form on his face.

"I swear that one day I will protect you-dattebayo!"

"As long as you can't, I'll be there to protect you."

"But I am the man, I must protect you."

"Not all women are weak, not all of us need to be protected."

The girl walked away from there in the direction of nowhere leaving her brother alone.

His brother always got into trouble; sometimes unintentionally. The people of the village were looking for a fight for no reason, so she had to learn to defend themselves, to defend her brother. To mature quickly.

Without a father to support him, without a mother to stop him. He did it with his willpower.

I look around for a few seconds; I was in front of a cemetery. Always, for some strange reason, I ended up in that depressing place. There was no explanation, but she didn't seem to care.

He turned around after looking at the cemetery for a few seconds. I wouldn't come in this time.

He walked aimlessly as he heard people whispering things from her as they gave him passage. Or rather they strayed out of their way with the same countenance they always showed him.

It wasn't respect.

It wasn't kindness.

It was fear.

She instilled fear for her actions.

She learned that if others had no respect for her or her only family; would have to earn respect in his own way.

"Why are you behaving like this?"

"It's none of your business."

"Of course it is, we're brothers and you can trust me!"

Same argument again. Again the same people arguing, on the same subject.

He didn't understand his sister's behaviors. They were totally different, so much so that only the last name and traits brought them back.

She was distant. He was outgoing.

She was serious. He was cheerful.

She was smart. He was an idiot.

She had skills. He was useless.