Part 27

Chapter 27

She stared at Barron as he stuck his tongue out at Noah.  In good nature, her boy growled back.  A laugh escaped Ally’s mouth, but before she could enjoy the moment for too long, images flashed through her mind.  Once, those images used to be of the danger that was coming near, now they included mainly two things, either a person or a bottle, both in which her children wanted.  She didn’t question how they could send her images, not when everything around her held such magic.

With a sigh, she pulled out of Seb’s arms.  He mock growled at her, but she knew from their connection that his mind was already on Jesse and the bottle the little girl had commanded Ally to get.  Jumping from the floor, she smiled towards Seb.  “You want to feed her or make the bottle.”

“Bottle,” he answered quickly as he left the living room.

Ally rolled her eyes at him as he left the room, but nothing could stop the happiness from blooming in her chest.  After everything, after all the hardships that they had been through, they were finally here.  Sure, the dangers weren’t completely over, she knew that, but for the time being, she was safe.  She could enjoy this time with her family, could enjoy the peace this very small house in the woods brought her.

Walking towards the crib that sat in the middle of the room, Ally grabbed Jesse.  Zoë slept beside her sister, her brown eyes closed to the world, but Ally knew that it would only be moments until the little girl woke up, either in search of her sister or in search of her food.  Cradling Jesse in one arm, Ally ran her finger lightly down Zoë’s cheek and had to keep the tears that pooled in her eyes from falling.  It was that gold hair, the only thing she had left of Blake.  She knew that without him, without all of his sacrifices, Zoë wouldn’t be alive today.  The little girl wouldn’t have all that power flowing through her, power that frightened even Ally at times. 

Jesse wiggled in her arms, making Ally blink rapidly and smile down at her spitfire of a daughter.  This was the one everyone was going to have to watch out for.  While Ally knew Zoë would be the quiet one out of the three, Jesse would be the opposite.  There was a human saying that a person’s children are twice of what they were as a child, and Ally believed it.

Something warm touched her arm, making Ally glance up at Sebastian.  With a smile, she grabbed the bottle from his hands before walking towards the couch.  She eased down beside Barron, who immediately grabbed a pillow to prop underneath her elbow.  Nodding in thanks, she rubbed the tip of the bottle against Jesse’s bottom lip until the little girl finally popped it into her mouth.  No matter what it was, Jesse had to rebel even in the smallest ways.

An image of herself flew through her mind, and when she glanced towards Noah, the boy was staring at her with large green eyes that matched her own.  In her opinion, they were the only features the boy had gotten from her.  The look he was sending her now, even the brown hair that hadn’t grown darker since the day he was born, was all Seb. 

“Momma’s boy,” Barron whispered, making Noah growl.

Ally laughed.  It seemed to be a game between the two of them.  Whether Noah truly understood what Barron said, or just recognized the tone of voice, he always growled when those words left Barron’s mouth.  With the smile on Barron’s face, Ally knew that the man enjoyed the small game, even if he would be the last to admit it. 

“Trade,” Sebastian said, as he came into the living room with two more bottles.  “I’ll burp Jesse, you feed your son.”

“He’s your son too,” she replied as she took the tradeoff.  Jesse snuggled deep into her father’s chest, and Ally bit her lip to keep from chuckling.  The girl already knew how to work the overbearing males in her life, a trait she was going to need in the future.