Part 35

Chapter 35

Adam stared at the house, waiting for Sloan to walk out.  Around him, everyone laughed and joked with one another, forgetting about the danger that was in the air.  They were focusing on the good.  They were focusing on the fact that the wolves and the leopards now had a pact together.  Not only that, but Ally had the lions in her corner, the snow leopards, and if they would fight, Charlie’s people.  They had enough for a war, but they also had enough to make people second guess whether there should be a war to begin with.

The only problem was that Adam couldn’t forget about the danger in the air.  Although they had avoided one battle because of Cy’s attitude towards leopards, there was more to come.  Because of this, Adam couldn’t rest until the danger was gone, he wouldn’t stop until he knew those he cared for were safe.

“I doubt someone is going to attack her at this exact moment,” Barron said in humor as he stepped beside Adam.  “You can stop watching.”

Adam glanced at the man from the corner of his eyes and realized that even Barron was happy.  Even Barron was relieved that there hadn’t been a battle.  The man who thrived on the kill didn’t want to fight.  “That’s not it,” Barron growled as his eyes flashed red.  “I want to fight.  I want to rip their throats out, but today, with the triplets right there, a battle was the last thing that I wanted.  So, am I glad that things were resolved?  Yes.  Do I believe that this is the end?  No.”

“You feel it too?”

Barron’s eyes turned back to normal as he took a deep breath.  “More than you know.”

Turning towards Barron, Adam frowned at his words.  “What do you mean?”

“She’ll fight now,” Barron whispered, ignoring Adam’s questions.  “She’s still afraid, but she’s willing to do anything for those she cares for.”  A dry chuckle left his mouth.  “I guess Ally was right.  The human really would surprise us all.”

“You can hear her?”

Barron tapped the side of his head.  “I can hear her in more ways than one.  Not like Zeke, but I can hear.”

Adam looked back towards the small house with the frown still on his face.  “The room is warded.  Nobody can use magic in there.  Nobody can hear or smell a thing that’s in that room.”

“Wards don’t keep out the people who make them.”  He paused for a moment before smiling a smile that was too genuine to be for Adam.  “Got to go.”

Barron walked towards Ally, and Adam watched in shock when, as soon as Barron was close, little Noah flung out his arms to the man.  Ally laughed as she handed Noah to Barron, and by the smile on both the little boy’s face and the frightening shifter’s, it looked like Ally wasn’t the only one who found her son’s actions amusing. 

The question was, when in the hell had that happened?  When had Barron started showing other people his softer side?  When had Noah allowed anyone but Ally to hold him without leaving scratches up and down their arms?