Part 3

Chapter 3

“No,” Ally said, while Zeke nodded his head in agreement with Adam.

Adam smiled at the two of them.  It was funny because he knew that would be their reactions.  Ally wouldn’t want him to do something he didn’t want to do, while Zeke didn’t care what he did as long as Ally was safe.

“It’s time for me to move on.”

Ally narrowed her eyes at him, but when she opened her mouth, a loud cry interrupted her.  Before he could see her move, she was in the living room, cradling Zoë in her arms.  “Shh,” Ally soothed. “It’s okay.”

“What’s wrong with her?” Zeke asked, looking towards the child with a worried expression.

“First tooth,” Adam answered while walking towards Zoë.  He knew from experience that once one started feeling pain, the other two would too.  Adam didn’t know if they were just developing at the same time or if they could feel one another’s pain.  Either way, in about ten seconds, his help would be needed.

As he walked towards the children, he could feel Zeke follow behind, could feel the worry flying off the man.  “But babies aren’t supposed to get their first tooth until anywhere from four to seven months.  They say it unusual for them to actually have their first tooth at four months, but it is possible.  I just thought they would have more time,” Zeke rushed, sounding as if he were reading the information straight from a textbook.

Adam glanced over his shoulder while raising an eyebrow at the man.  “You seem to know a lot about children.”

“It’s just, um—”

Adam smiled, showing off his teeth.  This was the first time he had ever caught Zeke off guard, and he planned to exploit it.  “You have something you’re not telling us?”

Zeke opened his mouth to answer, but when two more cries echoed through the living room, he smiled in relief.  “Not a thing.  It looks like Ally may need some help.”  Zeke swooped down, grabbing Noah.

“I wouldn’t,” Adam warned just as Noah bit down on Zeke’s arm.

Zeke grunted, looking down at Noah with a surprised expression.  “He bit me.”

“He’s four months old, and he doesn’t know you.  Hand him over.”

Ally’s second in command stared at Noah, as if not believing that the little boy wouldn’t want him.  “But Jesse…”

“She was connected to you while in Ally’s belly.  Of course, the little girl will trust you.  Noah, he’s harder to win over,” Adam explained with a shrug.  “Now hand him over before it gets worse.”

“How could it—dammit!  He scratched me.  Take him,” Zeke said hurriedly while holding Noah out for him to take.

Adam grabbed the boy cradling him in his arms.  It wouldn’t last, but for a couple of minutes, Noah would be quiet in his arms.  “I guess you’ve been reading up on human babies.  Take what they usually do and pull it back about a month.”  Adam smiled down at Noah, who didn’t smile back.  “They know more, but don’t like to talk to us.”

“They start making sounds that sound like words at four months also.”

Adam chuckled at the man.  “You want to know what else they got at four months.  Their claws, they’re not as strong as ours, but they can cause some damage.”  He saw something flash in Noah’s eyes and knew the little boy was ready to be in someone else’s arms.  Just as Adam thought, Noah’s bottom lip started to wobble.  His already big eyes widened further, showing off the brilliant green color.  “Ally,” Adam called out just as Noah let out a loud squall.