Part 36

Chapter 36

Shifting Noah in his arms, Barron rolled his eyes when the little boy growled.  His growl was worse than his bite, for the time being.  Barron knew that once Noah was older, once the little boy took on all the responsibility that came with the family name, he’d be someone to think twice about.  Hell, all of Ally’s children would be, but with all of Ally’s guards training Noah, he’d hopefully become the best.  He would need to be to take care of his sisters.  It was one of those questions that bothered Barron and despite the fact that his powers were extensive; it did have its limits.    Thankfully, telling the future was one of those limits.

Someone bumped into his side, breaking him from his thoughts and Barron didn’t even have to glance over to see who it was.  The only one here that would chance angering him was Ally.  Hell, the woman enjoyed making him mad whenever she could.  It was one thing that he loved about her, one thing that reminded him of the other women who gave him a hard time in life.  Luckily for him, the other two women he loved were far away from here, somewhere he knew they would be safe in the battles ahead.

Without looking towards her, he dropped the shields in his mind just a little.  Pain hit him hard, causing him to lock his knees to keep from falling.  His grip on Noah shifted, until he was sure that he had the kid securely in his arms.  Closing his eyes, he shuddered before throwing his shield back up.  Her pain was getting worse.  It was becoming unbearable even for her.  He could ease it temporarily, could take the pain on himself, but he knew without a doubt that she was dying.  She hadn’t told anyone else, but until Adam was no longer bound to her, her pain would never go away.  It’d get worse and worse, eating at her from the inside out until she couldn’t take it any longer.  The only question was how long did she have?

“I don’t think I’ll have to wait long.”

This time, Barron did turn towards her with his eyes narrowed.  Looking at her, he wondered how nobody else could see the pain that tightened her smile.  Maybe they did notice, and like him, they were keeping their mouths shut, not wanting to cause any more stress.  It wasn’t her pain that caused him to narrow his eyes though, it was her words.  He knew she couldn’t read his mind.  Despite the fact that she was his queen, she couldn’t breach his walls; no one could.  “You won’t have to wait long.  If you could hear what was going on in that house, you’d know that you don’t have to wait long at all.”

“Twenty on three days,” Sebastian called out, making Barron shake his head at the man.

“I feel like I’m just taking his money,” Barron whispered to Ally before calling back, “One week and four days, but make it fifty.”

Ally smacked him in the arm, light enough to where it didn’t jostle Noah, but hard enough to catch his attention.  “You asked Zeke’s mom, didn’t you?”

“Couldn’t leave it up to chance.”

“Did you ask her about the two of them?” Ally asked, her mouth tilted up in a way that showed her amusement.

Barron followed her gaze and rolled his eyes when he saw the two she was speaking of.  “We don’t need Zeke’s mom to predict their future.”

“It took a lot for me to get her here,” Ally whispered, making him glance at her from the corner of his eyes.

“You couldn’t have planned this.”

Her smile widened.  “You’re not the only one who can talk to Zeke’s mom.”

Noah made a noise that could only be described as a yawn as he snuggled deeper into Barron’s arms.  With a smile of his own, Barron glanced down at the little boy.  Ally and he may have spoken to Zeke’s mother about their friends, but that wasn’t the only thing they asked of her.  There were some things the woman wouldn’t tell them though, and what was next was one of those things.  She would hint, tell him mystic messages that may have made no sense once so ever now, but he knew they would one day.