Chap.5: Fortunate (First meeting)

HELLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MY LOVELIES!! I have something I want to say before we start anything too big here. My ideas are beginning to run rather thin and I'm not too sure what to show you guys next, soooooooooo... How about you guys go into the comments and give me some suggestions? Or you could just message me if you would prefer something much quieter or at least private. ANYWAY! Here we go! Enjoy!

================================================

On days where things were quiet and Lars could relax against the counter while Sadie sleeps in the backroom, he finds himself thinking about some rather heavy things. He'd think about his bright eyed mother who would always have such a sweet smile and a twinkle in her eyes. Sometimes he'd wonder about what his dad was thinking about or if he'd ever look at him the same way he did when his mom was alive. Other times, well, most of the time really, Lars would find himself thinking about how he was rather fortunate. Sure, he lost his mother at a young age and his father was distant but, Lars found himself to be quite fortunate.

Most kids never experienced things that Lars had and sometimes that made him greatful while other times it made him hateful. He had to deal with making his first lunch at the age of seven and to even walk to school by himself when his father had slept in to rid himself of a hangover. Sadly, he couldn't say he made it there and bragged to all the little kiddies in his class like many did with new toys or their candy snacks in their lunches. Lars had gotten lost on his way to school, having not memorized the path, found himself outside the only park in Beach City. It was outside this park that Lars found the things that made his life such a great thing as he believed it to be.

~ OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO ~

Lars, being rather lanky and tall for his age, had pulled on faded overalls that had gotten small and the white t-shirt underneath was too big. Standing by the bench outside the park he fiddled with his left shoe, a beat up tennis shoe that didn't match the new boot on his right that went to the middle of his calf, as he tried to tie it. His eyes were watery as he glared down at the laces that just wouldn't tie for him. Quickly, he rubbed at his eyes with a thin arm, trying to ignore the sting from the dust or dirt on his fingers getting in his eyes.

"Hey... are you crying? Do you need me to get your mama? I can go get my mama if you want", a young girl's voice spoke up, spooking poor little Lars. "Oh! Sorry, sorry. Didn't mean it, I swear! You okay?"

Huffing, Lars gave up on the shoe in favor of griping his overalls and staring at the girl who had spoken up, seeming to appear out of thin air. She was at most a head shorter than Lars with such bright blonde hair that it shined blindingly. It made him somewhat self conscious over his messy dark locks. Her eyes were such a pretty blue he contemplated if his brown eyes would ever be that nice. With a pleasently plump face and baby fat making her chubbier than most their age. She wore a blue dress that even Lars had to admit looked nice and made her seem like a little doll. On her back was a simple purple backpack with some most likely personal additions consisting of hand drawn flowers and stickers of cartoon characters that he remembers a lot of kids in his class liking. Ignoring her worried look Lars shakes his head, suddenly he realizes he shouldn't just be sitting their like an idiot. Stumbling to his feet, Lars dusts himself off and holds his chin high with his cheeks puffed out in annoyance. This girl practically gave him a heart attack and he wasn't going to let her off easy for it!

Clenching his little fists he glared at the girl in front of him ,"No, no you can't call my "mama" because she's not here."

The girl tilted her her head as she stared at him with those curious blue eyes ,"Well where is she? Is she going to come back?"

With a rather astonished look, Lars stares at the other child as if not understanding what she had asked. Then he realized that she doesn't know what had happened to his mother and was most likely just asking what anyone else would. How could she know that his mother was no longer there to watch over him? How could he explain something that he didn't even understand?

"M-Mine isn't... She-She...She won't... I- never mind", Lars mumbles as he looses faith in himself to find the right words, turning his attention to his mismatched shoes once more.

Neither said anything for a while until the blonde stepped forward and took his hand. Lars immediately tensed up and tried to fight her sudden hold but found futile in the small girl's strong grip. Sighing, Lars let himself be dragged to a bench with chipped paint nearby. Plopping herself down on the bench she pulls him along with her as she kicked her little legs that couldn't reach the ground, but he refused to join her. For a moment the boy just stood there, unsure what to do, until the girl tapped the seat beside her. Slowly, Lars sat down and the two said nothing while they watched the birds flying in the sky. At first it was peaceful till Lars found himself becoming unnerved at the constant quiet that was around them.

"So, what's your name", the girl whipped her head to him in surprise before she smiled wide.

Lars cheeks darken as he quickly turns away to avoid her excited eyes. Stupid feelings. He's surprised when she giggles and, instead of waiting for an answer, begins to go through her bag for something. Turning to her, Lars is further surprised to see that she had pulled out a store brand, knock off candy bar - they reminded him of the ones his mom used to buy in large quantities for him. She quickly opens it up, breaks off a piece, and hands it to him. Lars is flabbergasted that some kid he didn't even know would share their candy with him.

After taking a big bite of the chocolate she turns to him and says ,"I'm Sadie, you?"

"Lars...", Lars answers as he takes a small bite out of the chocolate, surprised by the sweet caramel and peanuts inside it.

(Author's note: DO NOT GIVE CANDY TO FRIENDS WITHOUT FIRST ASKING THEIR ALLERGIES)

They sat together for a good while until along came Sadie's mother, her kind eyes looked over at poor Lars in surprise. Lars quietly watched as the small girl ran over to her mother and gave a quick explanation. With a small gasp Sadie's mother seemed to quickly mull over something in her head before walking over to Lars. She offered him her hand, urging him with a smile. Cautiously, Lars took the woman's hand and allowed himself to be brought to the Big Donut. Both kids excitedly waited beside Sadie's mother as she ordered them donuts. As the kids ate Sadie's mother used the number Lars' had given her to phone home and gave his father an earful when he picked up. After some explaining, compromising, and apologizing the parents came to an agreement. From that day on Lars found himself hanging out with Sadie and her mother.

~ OoOoOoOoOoOoO ~

Sitting at the counter on a cool, slow day Lars smiles at the fond memory of his and Sadie's meeting. Leaning over, Lars nabs a donut (the kind Sadie's
mother had given him on that day - chocolate frosted and sprinkled with chocolate chips) and takes a large bite. Yes, though Lars didn't have the best luck at times, he believed that he was a very fortunate guy.