Chap.4: Birthdays

Birthdays were usually a time for celebration and sometimes they are just things you want to forget. Well, both are the same with Lars and Sadie.

Sadie loved birthdays because you could be with friends and families but, just not her own. Sadly for dear Sadie her birthday was on the same one as her father's and she refused to celebrate her own without him. Though she accepted gifts and thanked those who wished her a happy birthday but, she just didn't like to think of that day. Many times as a child Sadie's mother would find her crying when someone wished her a happy birthday because it reminded her of her dad. As she's aged she's learned that even if her father won't come back, things shouldn't have to change.

For Lars birthdays were pretty pointless because usually it would be any other day for him. He'd wake up, eat breakfast alone, and then head off to work or school without a word. Memories of how things were before would always make Lars hopeful, always bring him new hope that was always crushed. The grief of his mother's death never left his father the same, Lars knew this, and yet all he could remember is hurt on his birthdays.

Lars could recall time and time again where he'd revert back to that child side but, those memories would stop it. Those times when he'd hop off the bus and expect to come home to a surprise party, some decorations up with a few friends, or even just cake. He never received those things, only a few new toys left out that had no note on them or anything. Over the years the pile grew smaller until he'd only get a hundred dollar bill on the table. So really, any celebration was pointless.

The only thing that ever made Lars look forward to his birthday nowadays was Sadie because she made up for those lost times. She'd always have some present for him left on the counter when he comes into work (earlier than usual). As routine he would grab the gift and tuck it under his arm, calling for her as if confused though he knew what was coming. In the back she'd hide behind the tv, leaving a box of specially frosted donuts on the table. He'd open it then out would pop Sadie from behind the tv screaming 'surprise'. Then they'd eat the donuts as he opened the gift and talk till a customer came in.

It was only these times that Sadie or Lars would enjoy birthdays because they'd make each other forget. Neither would miss hanging out on the other's birthday, even if Lars' birthday is in the colder autumn time and Sadie's is in the cool spring days. If one birthday came on a day they didn't have work the two would find a way to spend the day together. Everything was perfect during those times, especially on one of Sadie's birthdays.

One particularly nice day, the two had been out just walking around Beach City in hopes of finding something new to do. The city was always calm and it was never newly renovated or had anything new out in. Both had been doing so many things before there almost seemed to be no point in looking for anything new to do but, they persisted. After walking for an hour the two finally take a break in the park, enjoying the soft breeze as they relaxed on the warm grass.

"Wow...", Sadie hummed as she stretched out her limbs to feel the Rays of the sun on her soft skin. "It's such a nice day today!"

Lars nods as he flops down beside Sadie and stretches before crossing his legs and placing his hands behind his head. He gives a long, satisfied sigh as he closes his eyes to relax his wary muscles. As they sit there Lars finds himself becoming bored of the silence and curses himself for not bringing his headphones. Without headphones he couldn't listen to any of his music because then Sadie would know one of his biggest secrets. He had a secret love for boyband and pop singers, the total opposite of the rock music he insists on playing whenever she suggests they listen to music at work.

Stuck in what seemed like endless silence Lars wonders if he should just start up a conversation with Sadie. Turning to speak to the small blonde Lars finds her snoring almost soundlessly beside him. With her eyes closed and an ever present little smile on her face. Seeing her so peaceful and the sun shining in her hair made Lars stop and stare. As he looks her over, he finds himself thinking over their day.