Chap.2: The problem with Steven

For as long as Sadie and Lars have been working at the Big Donut they had known the round, young boy named Steven Universe. Unlike the few people who trickled in here and there, Steven was a regular who was as friendly as one could get. They had met him when they were just starting out in the Big Donut, both only accepting the job so they were near one another. High school was going to finally start for those two at the end of summer and both were excited as could be. It was this day they had met Steven.

It had been a rather warm, summer day at Beach City and the younger Sadie and Lars were busy "working". Lars and Sadie knew not many came into the Big Donut and used it as an advantage to hang out. Like usual, the morning rush had slowed down and now it wasn't going to get busy till the afternoon. Since it was early the two were chatting away about the different things they wanted to do for the rest of summer. Lars had been in the middle of telling a story about something that happened last summer when the door opened and the bell went off.

Sadie immediately turns to the front and exclaims with a large smile on her face ,"Welcome to the Big Donut!"

Unlike Sadie, Lars had stayed frozen in his spot with his arms still in the strange position he had left them in. His mouth hung open as the words he had wanted to say were stuck in his throat from the surprise of someone coming in. His surprise turns to anger and annoyance when he realizes he was forgotten. Lars puts his arms down, crossing them tightly over his chest as he shuts his mouth into a tight sneer.

They both look to see the small, curly haired boy who had entered and a man with a long beard hurrying after him. The boy slowly moved in, but stayed close to the door as he surveyed the shop. He had come in with curious, wide eyes that seemed to be filled with stars from his amazement. Sadie had found it adorable the way he rushed forward and looked at all the donuts through the glass as his father followed. Lars, however, found it annoying seeing the chubby kid placing his dirty fingers onto the glass he just cleaned!

The boy had pointed to the donut he wanted and exclaimed with excitement ,"I want that one! I want chocolate!"

Both Steven's father and Sadie chuckled at his excitement before Sadie grabbed the one he wanted. Steven's dad pulled out his wallet as she placed the donut in the bag and put it on the counter. Lars sat with his eyes narrowed at the fact he was interrupted by the two and obviously unamused.

"What's his name", Sadie questions as the man hands her the money, her eyes focused on the boy practically bouncing in his spot.

"This is Steven!"

Lars grumbles as he slouches over on his stool while glaring at the donuts on the rack ,"Pfft! What a stupid name...I have named dogs better things. Should have named the kid Bob if they wanted to give him a stupid name."

Neither the father or son seemed to hear this but Sadie did and sent him a very dangerous glare. She turned back to the two with the sweet smile she had on before and held out the bag to the boy. Steven shouted excitedly as he rushed around his father who smiles down at the hyper child. After handing the man his change, she waves goodbye to them with her ever pleasant smile. Once the two are out of sight her smile slips and she turns to her child hood friend, glaring at Lars once more.

"What was THAT about Lars? He didn't do anything to you and you are lucky that he didn't hear you", Sadie snaps at him with her little hands balled up into fists.

Lars stiffened before glaring back at Sadie as he tightened his arms over his chest and he growled at her ," So what if he did?! I don't care what the little tub of lard thinks or his stupid dad."

Without thinking Sadie snapped right back with even more anger in her voice ," WHAT GIVES YOU THE RIGHT TO TALK ABOUT THEM LIKE THAT?!"

"THE FREEDOM OF SPEECH", Lars says as he stands with his face reddening as he balled his hands into fists by his side.

Now she was seeing red and the fight became more and more heated. Soon the topic wasn't even on Steven or his father, it was on each other. They threw insults on one another from their fashion sense to family. In less than half an hour the two were red faced and panting heavily with tears in their eyes. That was one of their biggest fights and it was over the stupidest thing really. Both didn't speak to one another for the rest of their shift and Sadie left quickly, not wanting to walk with Lars (as they usually did).

It continued like that for days, avoiding eye contact and almost constant quiet at work. Sadie was too wound up about Lars comment, her long forgotten conflicts with weight coming back full force. Lars was just confused on why she blew up, it wasn't like he had never made comments like that before. Usually Sadie would just whack his arm and call him a jerk before they went back to normal. It wasn't like her to be this angry about it and it worried Lars, she was his only real friend. So, he was going to do what he can to get her back, or at least, that's what he was working up the courage to do.

After about two weeks on the silence and feeling completely suffocated by her bland tone when she did say something he finally snapped. It had been during a slow time in the day when Sadie was restocking the donuts. Lars had been cleaning the counter, trying to fill up the time they usually spent talking when suddenly the stool Sadie was on slipped from under her feet. Tumbling down, hitting the side of the stool and then a low donut rack, until she landed on the tiled floor with a groan.

Lars immediately jerked his head over to Sadie and hollered in shock ,"Oh my god, Sadie!" Rushing over, Lars reaches for her arm to help pull her up only for his hand to be smacked away.

"I'm fine", was all Sadie said as she stood up and quickly dusted herself off, her voice tight.

That was when he snapped.

"No", he said as he clenched the rag he was using to clean the counter in his other hand. "You're not fine! We aren't fine! Everything about all this is too screwed up to be fine! What happened that made you start hating me!? What made you start avoiding me!?"

"Avoiding you? I haven't been avoiding you", Sadie says but can't find it in herself to look him in the eye because she was doing just that.

Shaking, Lars threw down the rag and shouted ,"How aren't you avoiding me?! You won't even look me in the eye when I talk to you and you won't tell me why!!"

"What did I do? ....I'm sorry for whatever it was...", Lars slowly sunk to his knees, hanging his head in hopes she wouldn't see the tears brimming his eyes.

By now Sadie was staring at Lars, wide eyed with her mouth in a small o, as if she were too surprised to speak. This wasn't what she was expecting, she had no idea he was going to apologize. It made her chest feel a bit lighter and her anger melting at the sad sight of her friend. With a small smile she moves to stand in front of her friend, now only two inches taller than Lars.

Placing a hand on his shoulder she says ,"I don't hate you, Lars. You're my best friend, how could I ever hate you? I was just...mad that you would say stuff like that. Steven wasn't even that big and you thought that he was a tub of lard so I was worried that you..."

Lars' head snaps up and he looks at her with wide eyes, his tear stained cheeks making him look more child like. Sadie quickly looked away, embarrassed to have confessed such a thing to him. She hadn't even been able to finish her sentence in fear of this very reaction. She's never really mentioned how she felt being on the plumper side before, it wasn't surprising he was shocked. What surprised Sadie was Lars wrapping his arms around her waist and placing his head on her shoulder.

"Of course I wouldn't think of you like that! Are you nuts?! I don't care what you look like, Sadie. I just want my friend back", Lars sniffled as he hugged her tight to his chest having not cried since his mom's death.

She was stiff at first, not knowing what to do before slowly wrapping her thicker arms around him. It was usually Sadie who initiated any sort of hug in her own small ways. To see how sincere he was by actually making the first move touched her deeply. A smile comes to her face as she rubs his back, letting him cry on her shoulder. They both stay there for what seemed like hours till someone entered the shop. Both quickly pulled apart, Lars wiping any possible snot and his tears off his face while Sadie took care of the customer. It was from then on that Lars never really mentioned Steven's weight around Sadie, hoping to not have a repeat of that fight.