Chap.3: Highschool

Going into high school was a very awkward transition for Lars and over the years it seemed to get worse. Just recently he had to deal with his efforts to befriend 'cool kids' getting in the way of his friendship with his long time best friend, Sadie. There really was something that always got in the way of things for him. Lars found himself tongue tied whenever he encountered other students, usually female students. There were times when he'd say stupid things that made no sense to even him and he'd try to laugh off the awkward silence that followed. No one got his "witty" humor or enjoyed his sarcastic comments like Sadie did (well more like tolerated). It was these things that could be overlooked and possibly 'make him cool' but, it was his attitude that really made people wary of him.

Anyone who knew Lars well, by that I mean Sadie, knew that he liked to keep quiet about anything really personal. He lied as if he needed it as much as he needed air to breath. Lars built walls that were locked up so tight that sometimes even Sadie couldn't get through. It wasn't a secret that Lars loved to boast and knock people down a peg but, he hated rude people. So, in a nutshell the boy was a hypocrite, a liar, and liked to believe he was a big shot. These personalities are what turned people away from him and blinded them from his good qualities.

Even though he would lie his way out of any situation or make up a story make himself seem better, however, sometimes Lars could be honest. By honest I mean blunt and by sometimes I mean usually. That fact isn't as bad as it sounds though, Lars has used his blunt honesty to verbally assault the self esteem of any kid who bothered Sadie. He was protective of her and wasn't going to let anyone do anything to hurt her.

People in high school were different from the people Lars and Sadie met on an everyday basis. They weren't friendly old ladies, kind parents, or even annoying kids. No, high schoolers all seemed to have some clique they belonged to where they were all copies of each other. They were incredibly ditzy or always grumpy -hating the world- and there were some who just not pleasant. Like any impressionable young man, Lars did what anyone would by following the crowd.

It was the reason he had cut his hair into the style it was now, having dyed it a bright orange since dark brown was too plain. He hoped to have more then just simple plugs, possibly an eyebrow or nose piercing, but knew it might have overstepped things. Then he took to wearing ripped jeans and rock t-shirts to help. It didn't do much except make Sadie giggle slightly when she first saw it and make his father shake his head. That wasn't anything new to Lars though, his father usually did that whenever Lars did something wrong. It always made him ready to pull his hair out but, his father always found a way to change his mind whether intentionally or not.

His father had been on the honor roll, sometimes at dinner he spoke of his high school and college years being the best. It made Lars strive to have the best and most eventful time in his life. The reason behind his want of showing his father he could have the same was so they would talk. There were a few times that Lars ever got the chance to get to know his father before being shut out. The only times where they would have anything close to real conversations would be when Lars brought up high school or college.

In the earlier years of Lars' young life he remembers his parents cuddling him as they recounted old times. Lars remembered his father used to speak just ever so loosely with his mother about their college days, always reminiscing. There were times that the man would retell the story with Lars after a few glasses of wine and a cigar. Sadly, his father seemed to just shut down half way to go to his study or tell Lars he needed to go to bed. Nowadays he doesn't bother to even ask about his father's past and takes to listening to whatever he could. Slowly he's piecing together things about his father and savoring any information about his mother. So far he knows she had been a psychologist and loved peanut butter fudge more than air itself.