The Day That Was

Four years earlier...

Diego woke up in a bed that wasn't his, a smirk played at his lips as he remembered the night before, he reached his arm over to the other side of the bed finding it empty, he furrowed his brows and got up from the bed. His clothes were folded over a chair in the corner of the room, so he walked over and got dressed, he opened the bedroom door and the smell of bacon and eggs hit his nose, he looked towards the smell and found Em. She was with her back to him, an oversized shirt and black underwear were all that she was wearing, her butt poking from under her shirt as she worked on the stovetop. Diego stood where he was for a moment, admiring her from afar. "I could get used to this," he thought, but quickly shook the thought away.

His relationship with Patch had ended not too long before, he'd just promised himself he'd not get into another relationship, they were too complicated and stressful. He'd just eat breakfast and leave. Diego nodded to himself, quietly making his way over to Em, who was oblivious to his presence.

Em felt hands slither around her waist and tensed, thinking quickly she elbowed his stomach, grabbed a knife from the counter, and put it to his throat, pushing him against the kitchen island.

"Woah, wait," Diego mumbled, raising his arms in surrender.

"Oh! Shit, sorry," Em exclaimed, dropping the knife in her panicked fluster. "I'm sorry, are you ok?"

Diego chuckled, "Yes, I am. Good morning, princess."

"G-good morning," Em smiled awkwardly, the pet name making her blush. "Breakfast?" she offered, hastily turning back to the stove.

"Yeah, sounds good," Diego noted. "Need any help?"

"No, it's almost ready," Em said happily.

Diego sat at the table, soon after Em followed him with two plates in hand, she put their plates on the table and brought orange juice for them. He chuckled, looking at the plate, she'd made it so the food looked like a happy face.

"That's not normal, is it?" Em asked quietly, motioning to how she plated the food, she bit her lip apprehensively.

"It's sweet," Diego said, giving her a small smile.

"Sorry, about earlier," Em said softly, avoiding eye-contact. "I don't usually have... company."

"Oh," Diego said pensively. "That wasn't the first time you did something like this, right?"

"Oh, no, no," Em said, shaking her head with a chuckle. "They just don't usually... stay after, you know," she confessed quietly, a hint of sadness in her voice.

Diego stayed quiet, unsure how to respond, they ate in silence.

"Oh, your neck," Em said quietly, noticing a hickey. "I didn't notice I'd done this, here let me-"

Diego held her hand before she could touch his neck, "Leave it," he muttered.

"Ok," Em nodded, glancing from his eyes to his lips. "Sorry, my power doesn't allow me to keep mine-"

Diego leaned in and kissed her, holding her by her waist.

"That was nice," Em noted quietly, once they pulled apart.

"Yeah," Diego said breathlessly.

They stood there, staring at each other for a moment.

"So, uh," Diego said awkwardly. "I'll get going."

"Right, yeah," Em said, nodding and stepping away from him. "Do you still have the paper I gave you? For emergencies."