We Only See Each Other at Weddings and Funerals

Present-day

Em, and Diego stood in front of the Academy's door, bags in hand.

"Do we knock?" Em asked anxiously, her hands were lightly trembling.

"Yeah, with how paranoid dad was, he probably changed the locks," Diego said with a hint of annoyance. "Are you ok?" he asked, watching her hands tremble.

"Yeah, I'm fine," she said nodding, Diego took her hand in his.

"I know this isn't easy for you, are you sure you're up for this?" he asked, giving her a reassuring squeeze. "You don't have to."

"I'm sure Di. This is not about me, I'm here for you, no matter what happens inside, I am here for you. Don't worry about me, I'll be fine." Em assured him firmly. "Shall we?" she asked nodding to the door.

Diego raised his hand and knocked on the door, not long after that the door was opened by Pogo.

"Master Diego is good to see you again, if only it were in better circumstances," he said with a sad smile.

"Yeah, good seeing you too Pogo," Diego said almost dismissively. "This is my fiancée Em, Em this is Pogo." he presented.

"Nice to meet you," Em said, shaking Pogo's hand with a smile.

"You too Miss Em." Pogo said, shaking her hand. "Congratulations on the engagement," he added with a smile, although his voice was almost cold towards her.

Em's smile faltered for a second because of Pogo's strange stare.

"So, who found him?" Diego asked Pogo as they walked into the Academy.

"Whoa," Em whispered looking around the giant entry.

"I did, sir." Pogo answered. "He was in bed."

"Alright, Em, and I will take a look at the scene after we leave our things in my old room," Diego told them both.

"Sounds like a plan." Em nodded.

"I'll leave you to your devices." Pogo said, leaving the room.

"How do you still know where to go? This place looks like a maze." Em said in amazement as they walked up the stairs.

"I was raised in these corridors, some things are hard to forget," Diego said shrugging.

"How are you feeling?" Em asked quietly.

"Weird, I left and never looked back, and now I'm here again," Diego confessed. "Everything looks the same, yet everything is different," he added, shaking his head.

"The circumstances are different, you're an adult now and Reginald isn't, well, he isn't here anymore..." Em said with a slight awkwardness, the truth was she had no idea how to act, she didn't know what having a father figure was like, much less what losing him would feel like.

"We're here," Diego said, opening the door to his childhood bedroom.

"So this is where little Diego spent his nights?" Em asked jokingly, looking at the posters all over the walls.

"Yeah, pretty much." Diego nodded, putting his bag down on the bed. "You can leave your things here, we'll move it later."

"Alright." Em nodded, putting her bag on the bed as well. "So, what next?"

"We check dad's room for any sign of foul play," Diego explained.

"You think someone killed him?" Em asked worriedly. "I mean, the report says he died of a heart failure..."