Chapter Five - Practical Examination

          I was frozen. She said she wanted to show me something, but what did she need to show me? Maybe...Maybe she knows where that man is?

          "D-Do you know where...he is?" I whimpered as she walked swiftly up the stairs, dragging me with her.

          She didn't reply. Maybe she didn't hear me. She was too focused on getting there—wherever there was. Seeing she wasn't planning on listening to me, I focused on keeping up with her. Stumbling on a stone-hard surface was way out of my bucket list.

          A long time after my silence, I bumped into Kosh's back which urged me to smack her shoulder and ask her why she stopped walking, then I noticed that she was too stunned by what—or rather, who—she saw to hear my words.

          Standing in front of us was a fairly old woman who was wearing a long dress, creeping us out with her blank stares. I felt goosebumps on my skin, my nerves instantly on high alert. It was Mitena.

          Nobody spoke. She stared at us, and we stared back. I tried to look through her eyes and understand what she was trying to tell us, but I failed.

          Then Kosh screamed a long "Oh!" And before I could react, she was already holding my hand tightly and dragging me once again, down the stairs, this time.

          As we passed through the stone walls quickly, I stumbled on my own feet, failing to keep up with Kosh. Seriously, what was it with Kosh and her dragging me all the time? I trained my eyes on the stairs that we were running along; I didn't want to trip on my own feet and stumble down the stone-hard stairs to death. That was horrible. And the more I thought about it, the more possible it seemed to be.

          This took longer than usual. It was like we were heading to Aethelgard's first floor. But we weren't allowed to cross Aethelgard's perimeter, so why did she seem like she was headed there? Was she planning on escaping this castle-like school? But why? It didn't make sense at all. Why would she do that after our long staring session with Mitena?

          My trail of thoughts was interrupted when Kosh spoke. "Safia," she called, "you can breathe now." And that was when I realized that I had stopped breathing, my mind too occupied by what I was thinking of. With my eyes closed, I released my long-held breath with a huff.

          "You don't have to drag me all the time, Kosh." 

          She laughed softly as she rolled her eyes. "Oh, please. I walk faster than you," she answered as she opened the large door, like it clearly answered the question in my head. Light seeped through the opening until it touched my feet. 

          If that was the case, then next time, feel free to carry me, Kosh.

          The blinding light forced me to raise my arms up to my face to cover my already closed eyes. It was bright—too bright—for my eyes. I had been staying inside the castle for quite a long time; my eyes weren't used to bright light anymore. After a while, my eyes adjusted to the light and I was able to open them again. I saw Kosh standing outside the castle as soon as I opened my eyes, her feet on well-trimmed grass, her hand stretched out to me, her lips curved upwards.

          I smiled. For some reason, my worries were gone. This girl smiling at me, she was Koshka, my best friend, and I didn't need to worry about me as long as she was here. I knew she'd do everything to protect me, and I would do the same for her.

          I walked outside the castle and let the light embrace my body. I squinted for a while and felt Kosh's hand hold mine. She hurriedly led me around the castle, making sure we were close to the castle walls.