Chapter Two - Aethelgard

• Dedicated to Eurielle R. Santos

Chapter Two - Aethelgard

          "Wow, this is amazing!" I commented, my eyes widened in awe as I looked at the giant castle in front of me.

          The sky was peaceful, and the warm breeze was amazing. Flocks of birds were flying freely, just like me. I stretched my arms, closed my eyes and inhaled deeply, letting the warm air enter my lungs.

          I was free. I was finally free!

          "I'm fr--! Ouch!" I gently patted my cheek that was faintly throbbing.

          "You are not allowed to shout, yell, or scream here!" the old woman yelled, pointing a thick stick at my face. "Florence!" she yelled.

          A man around my age with weird clothing appeared seconds later. He wore clothes with different strips of cloths hanging on his shoulders, its colors moving wildly. He bowed mannerly, then he looked at me like he was surprised to see me here. "Yes, Magister Elfreda?"

          "Take this infected stick," she said, handing the 'infected' stick to Florence. "I want that disposed of as soon as possible." she commanded.

          My eyes widened, probably attaining the perfect 'o'-shape. "I-I-Infected...?" I asked. "You hit me with an infected stick?!" I screamed, pointing my finger at the infected stick.

          I couldn't believe it. It was supposed to be my first day in school, and this....this was what I'd get? What if I got infected and died? Oh, I should've known! I shouldn't have left the house.

          "Ow!" She slapped me again with a different stick, a thinner one. I cupped my throbbing cheek. Ugh, that hurt! "Why did you do that?!"

          She put the stick in the man's hand and said, "I want that disposed of, too."

          Florence quickly walked away to the grasses behind the castle, taking the infected sticks with him. I wondered what would happen to Florence. Would he really get infected?

          Then the woman's eyes shifted to my face, "Stop yelling if you don't want me to slap you with the whole forest!"

          I retorted, "But you're yelling, too. That's not fai--"

          "I've had enough of you, Safia! Leave your belongings in your room, then head straight to the room of the magisters!" Room of the magisda-what? "Well, don't just stand there! Walk, you sick creature!"

          So I ran inside. That old woman sounded like she was on her period. What was her name again? Elfreda? Ugh, she sure knew how to slap someone with a stick.

          After a few seconds, I was inside the castle-like school. My feet trembled as I stepped on the cold floor. Even my cozy shoes were no match for the coldness of the stone floor. There were so many people inside that my ears hurt. Everyone was talking, but I couldn't understand a thing. I was never used to crowds. We never had more than four people in the house as far as I could remember. Then, finally, they stopped, and there was silence.

          "Sh-She's--"

          "It's her." The girl pointed her finger at me. "It's the freak!"

          "Freak?!" I asked. "I'm not a frea--"

          A girl approached me. She was wearing a round-collared dress that went down until mid-leg. She grabbed my hand, and everyone's eyes widened. "Come with me," she said, but she dragged me before I could open my mouth to protest.