Chapter Eleven - Too Weak

This is dedicated to CompulsiveWriter. She inspires me a lot!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Chapter Eleven - Too Weak

          I was walking around Aethelgard, taking long strides as I ran to save time. If I was lucky, I would see Sumner and talk to him nicely, and still have enough time to go to the magisters' room and listen to their conversation. But judging by the things I was going through, luck wasn't on my side. So I'd have to be contented in what will happen. Perhaps that would cheer me up a bit.

          Remekiah had been quiet since we left the clinic. I didn't know if he just didn't like the people here in Aethelgard and just couldn't help but see the unpleasant side of each person, but I had a feeling that he didn't like the fact that I told Master Cato what I think my power was. Didn't he want me to be a good student?

          Class was about to start in an hour, since I missed a class when I passed out earlier. I didn't like that class anyway. It was just about taking care of the castle, similar to my demeanor class, just a little more exciting than my demeanor class. Supposedly, my next class was my favorite class. It was my class with Master Cato, Mastery class, where we master our powers. Sadly, Master Cato was too busy today, so he wouldn't be able to hold the class. That was why he told me to see Sumner and ask him to help me instead.

          "Sumner!" I called as I saw him walking at the end of the hallway.

          He heard me calling and looked at my direction. As usual, he looked bored, like there was nothing in the world that could amaze him. He walked towards me as I walked towards him. "What?" he asked.

          "Please help me learn how to use my power," I said.

          He scratched the back of his head. "Why would I?" he asked.

          "Master Cato told me to--"

          "--let's go," he ordered, walking past me.

          "No," I replied. "I still have to go somewhere else. Can't we practice later?"

          He scoffed, "Whatever." Then he walked back to the direction he was heading to before I called him earlier.

          Before he went far, I yelled, "I'll look for you later. Thank you!" I still heard his scoff from this distance. He was really a weird guy. I didn't know why he looked annoyed by everything in the world, like he wanted to finish doing everything he needed to do so he could go back to what he wanted to do.

          I ran to the magisters' room. Remekiah was wriggling inside my dress. Perhaps he wanted to tell me something but just couldn't, or maybe he was just uncomfortable because of our recent quarrels. Either way, I didn't have time to talk to him yet. I needed to get to the magisters' room...fast.

          I held my ear against the wall and looked for the spot where I could hear their conversation clearly. I only heard the words 'came here late', 'Aethelgard's safety', and 'taking care of everyone'. I hadn't heard my name yet, though.

          "This is why I told you we shouldn't given them extensions!" The voice sounded like Elfreda's. As usual, she couldn't keep her tone down. "This is all your fault, Xamira! If you didn't beg me to let her stay there for two more months, this wouldn't have happened!"

          "B-But Elfreda," Xamira stuttered. "you have to understand. She--"

          "No!" I heard a slam. It was probably Elfreda slamming her fists on something made of wood. "We needed Safia here in Aethelgard, and what is she doing? She's staying in her house on top of that deserted hill!"