His only reason (Emblem 3 fanfic - Chapter 12)

I woke up again, slightly confused and wrapped in a large blanket, and facing a velvet colored wall. The room was unfamiliar, but I could barely focus my eyes enough to realize I wasn’t in the arabic restaurant I passed out in, but rather a large hotel room, which smelt of the small cinnamon candle burning across the room. My hearing slowly returned with a slight ache, but I was grateful to at least have escaped my ‘dream.‘

“Don’t touch her, I’ll be right back. I swear to God, Keaton, if you wake her up I’ll kick your ass.” What a calming thing to hear once I re-gained consciousness. I was alone with, I’m assuming Keaton, who was perched at the edge of the bed I was draped over. My vision was still blurred, so I kept my eyes lightly shut, and exhaled slowly.

Keaton got up, and crept towards the side of the bed my back faced, taking a seat and gently placing his hand to my cheek. His touch was warm, and felt astounding against my cold face. His hand then made it’s way towards my shoulder, where it stopped. His fingers lingered on my skin for a second, until he eventually began to crawl down my arm.

“You’re going to be fine,” he whispered, stroking my bare arm. The hairs on the back of my neck raised, but his touch eased my stiff body. “I’m sorry for yesterday, I--” He stopped mid sentence. His hand immediately left my arm, and he jumped from my side, landing with a quick thud on the floor. There was a short pause, before someone joined in our conversation. “What’re you doing?”

It was Drew, most likely standing in the doorway with his arms crossed and eyes narrowed. “Don’t tell Wes, please, I was just.. I was just checking up on her. I swear.” Drew stayed silent, and I could feel his eyes examining my limp body. “She’s a keeper,” he joked, letting out a chuckle. The atmosphere felt tense-- even though I wasn’t necessarily involved in this conversation.

“But she’s Wesley’s. So stop this ‘lovey dovey’ talk. You really think your girlfriend would appreciate this? Oh wait.” I nearly gasped, unveiling my fake sleep, but rather inhaled quickly. “You’ve never had one.”

Drew left the room quietly, and it was clear Keaton wasn’t amused by the small talk he’d received. This time however, he climbed back towards the bed, but kneeled beside me. His breath warmed my chilled nose. “You know, I’m not really good at things like this,” he started, voice getting quieter each word he spoke. “But there’s one thing I know I want to do.” His face neared mine, until our noses were touching, and we exchanged short breaths. Our skin felt soft against each other’s, it felt right. And in that moment that our lips touched, I knew he wasn’t the boy I watched get mobbed by hundreds of girls the night before.

He was Keaton, the boy with the slightly chapped lips and soft touch. The boy with the awkward personality, but overpowering vocals. His lips stayed pressed to mine for a few seconds, before he pulled away slowly, lingering for more, but accepting the fact that I was ‘asleep’. He waited, as if for a response, before standing up from his kneeling position.

He’d gotten up to tiptoe towards the door before I’d gotten the chance to re-focus my vision, and quietly blurt out the first thing I could. “Minty.” I hadn’t known what to say, I’ve never kissed a guy nor had a boyfriend for that sort. This was something totally out of the usual. My first kiss was when I was faking being unconscious in the bedroom of three stranger’s I had just met the night before.

He turned back, and met my shy eyes, granting me one of his famous ‘half smiles’, before turning back and sitting on the edge of the bed. “I didn’t know you were awake.” I laughed, saying I didn’t either, but bit my lip softly. “Why’d you do that?”

Silence. It took a minute before he eventually responded, eyes focusing on a picture frame lying parallel to the wall. “I’ve never kissed anyone before, and I guess I just wanted to get it over with.” Get it over with?

If he had wanted to ‘get it over with’, he would’ve kissed one of those beautiful girls practically throwing themselves on top of him, instead of inveigling me while I was half alive, half unconscious. Before gathering my thoughts, he vanished quickly, and I sunk back into my untamed mess of emotions.

Wesley entered almost immediately after, and it was clear he wasn’t satisfied with the fact that his younger brother had gotten to me before he had. “I didn’t know you were awake, did Keaton do anything, I’ll beat--” “No. I woke up on my own, I called him in to ask what happened.”

His face softened, and he nodded, approaching me with a huge bowl of what looked like ramen noodles, with a side of saltine crackers. I graciously accepted, but placed the bowl on my lap, appetite completely distinguished.

“What’s wrong? If you don’t like ramen I can make something else, or-” I interrupted again. “You’re perfect. You taking me in after I nearly died at your concert was enough for me. I appreciate everything, I promise.” Wesley slowly crept underneath the large comforter I was wrapped in, and placed his left arm around my neck, setting my head onto his muscular chest. His body warmth lent me safety, his arms were all I needed to feel protected.

His heart beat was slow and repetitive, and it cast me into a near sleep. His fingers ran through my knotted hair, and his legs were tightly entwined with mine. Before falling back asleep, his lips neared my ear, soft nibbling before letting out one last breath.

“Anytime, beautiful.”

Author’s Note: Who does Nadine choose, Wesley or Keaton? Next update will most likely be monday, could be sunday or tuesday depending on how many views/comments I get. Thanks for the support, means a lot!!xx