His only reason (Emblem 3 fanfic - Chapter 17)

My heart stopped. I turned my head towards Keaton, who’s eyes were still fixed on the tall man in front of us. “It’s not him?” He asked, gazing back at Wesley’s who’s mouth was gaped open. “No, it’s me.”

He reached out his hand, and wrapped his fingers around mine before leading me to the side. I could feel his palms sweating, but he took a small gulp and continued to speak. “What would you like to order?”

It amazed me. No, not the fact that I was holding hands with Keaton right now and I could feel Wesley’s eyes trailing down my spine. His courage. This wasn’t the boy I met in the train station, with the soft voice and incurious personality. This wasn’t the boy getting mobbed everywhere he went, with the killer wink. It was Keaton Stromberg, the awkward underdog with a lot on his conscience. I told him I’d tell Wesley eventually, and I know that’d make me seem like the biggest whore he’d seen. Switching between brothers? But in the end, there was no switching. It was all a game. You don’t control your feelings, and although one’s love might feel right, maybe it’s not meant to happen. His grip relaxed and he grinned, not looking back at his brother, but rather at my questioning inquiry. “Egg rolls sound good? Maybe with some brown rice?” I nodded, rubbing my thumb over pointer finger as a small reassuring gesture.

“We’ll have two egg rolls and brown rice, throw in some wonton soup,” Wesley stammered, uncomfortably approaching the counter. His lips were moist from his continuous licking, and his left leg was slightly shaking. The man nodded, awkwardly punching in a few numbers on his register, and looking back up, unsure of who to make contact with. “10 dollars.”

Wesley hesitated, stepping back and placing himself at a table in front of the counter. He clearly lost his appetite. Releasing my hand, Keaton reached into his pocket pulling out a bill, and placed it in the man’s hands, before quickly grabbing back at my own. “Thanks. I knew I could count on you.” Wesley mumbled softly, inaudibly to Keaton. We sat across from him at the wobbly table. 

There weren’t many people in the restaurant. One man, the table beside us, with a newspaper up to his nose. Another had a small japanese couple, giggling to themselves while sharing a small fizzy drink.

It returned to silence. The atmosphere was uncomfortable and slightly unbearable, I couldn’t help myself but to constantly shift my position in my seat, sliding because of the sweat slowly accumulating on my finger tips. A smirk was plastered on Keaton’s face, while Wesley stared blankly at the rack of sugar packets in front of us.

“Wow,” he finally exasperated, reaching his hand out for a small pink packet. He plucked it out quickly, and let his fingers trace the outer edges, before slowly tearing a corner open. “You never really realize the quality of your life until it starts to reveal itself to you.” Carefully, he poured the crystals into the palm of his hand, steadily. “You think everything’s fine, but in reality everyone’s hidden. You see what people decide to show you, not what’s really on the inside. Everyone’s shaded, and someone they’re really not.” The last few specks of sugar hit his palm before he lifted it to his mouth. His hand rested at his lips, before slowly puckering and lightly blowing the contents onto the table. “And then it’s all gone.” I watched a few specks hit my limp hand, but didn’t swipe them off. I didn’t know how to respond. I parted my lips, unsure of how to start. “Do you ever wonder if maybe it’s not those people, but rather your own self deceiving them so falsely?”

He looked up, eyes filled with question. “Sometimes, you have to trust that people will be patient enough to see behind the barrier you put up, then maybe you can escape the distorted perception people hold against you.” He got up, and made his way to a vacant table towards the corner of the shop. Keaton remained content, slowly wrapping his hand around my chair. “He’s crazy.”

“Is he alright?” I muttered, weary of if he’d over hear or not. Keaton nodded softly, looking back at his distraught kin. “He’s struggled with anxiety these past few years. He’s had trust issues, too.” Keaton licked his lips. “I feel for him, but honestly, I don’t know what I’m expected to do to help him. I try, and I feel his pain. It’s just hard on everyone, you know?”

“I understand.” I didn’t understand though. If he puts your family through so much pain, why don’t you get him help? Why don’t you give him a hug, and let him know everything’s going to be okay? Why wouldn’t Keaton just push me aside, and let me know that it’s family time and Wesley needs a shoulder to lean on right now? I glanced back at my phone which was sat in my pocket. It was nearly time for me to head to the train station.

“I should really get to the train station,” I started, not concerned with the fact that the waiter hadn’t brought us our order yet. “Not yet,” Keaton pleaded, fastening his grip on my wrist, but I pulled away swiftly. “I have question.” I looked back down at him, and he smiled softly. “There’s this dance, back in Washington. It’s at my old school, and I know it’s ridiculous because I don’t really attend there anymore. But I’d love for you to come with me. It’s next weekend. Plus, we don’t get out of New York until three days prior, so I’ll let you know on Wednesday flight details. Please?”

I probably shouldn’t have, but I leaned down and kissed his mouth, before granting him a quick yes. We didn’t have one of those spontaneous prom moments where the girl jumps into the guy’s arms, tongue wrestles him and they spin around in small circles in front of a crowd of people. He just stood up, embracing me in his petit grasp, before finally letting me go. “Let me walk you to the train station.”

I shook my head, cocking my head towards Wesley. “There’s someone more important, that needs you right now more than I do.” He looked back disappointed by my response, but lent me a cheeky grin. “Thanks.” I watched him walk back, taking a seat across from his brother, lending out a hand to grab. Relief. As I walked towards the door, I could feel foot steps following me and turned back, only to see the stranger with the newspaper disposing of his coffee, still amused with his findings.

I left the shop with a grin on my face, and nearly an hour to catch the train. The sun was finally setting, and the wind picked up again. The streets weren’t crowded nearly as much as I expected, only a few people passings, noses buried under infinity scarves. My thoughts were interrupted shortly after, by a faint whisper in my left ear. “You’re leaving so soon?” From the corner of my eye, I could see the outline of a loose black hood. 

Author's Note: Thank you for all the comments, next chapter will be at 20 comments or 200 reads, whichever comes quicker x. B