His only reason (Emblem 3 fanfic - Chapter 11)

We walked down to a nearby restaurant, and sat together in a tiny booth. It was an Arabic restaurant, which to my surprise, had a variety of foods to order, and even a few American appetizers. I settled on pita bread with hummus, reluctant to try anything new.

“Not really into change?” Wesley asked, peering up from his over sized menu. I shrugged, “I like to stay true to my roots.” He raised his eyebrows, but continued studying his menu, going back and forth on how badly he wanted to try the Fattoush, simply for it’s name.

“You’re such a child,” I ranted, putting my own menu down on the table. “I’ve tried that before, when I was younger I went on a trip around Asia and decided to try out a few dishes. It’s not as bad as it seems.” He smiled, looking back up. “Then it’s settled,” Wesley slammed the menu down on his plate. “The fattoush it is.”

We conversed for a good few minutes, not necessarily about what happened last night, but about what went on in our lives, and our different view points on things. He began to get distracted half way through the conversation though, eyes continuously shifting to something behind me, until I stopped mid sentence. “Something wrong?” His eyes shot back at mine, and he shook his head, smiling. “Just a friend.”

I looked back, but the cafe was nearly empty. There were three tables occupied not including ours. One with an elderly couple, quietly picking at pieces of pita bread. The other a business partnership, two men eagerly typing away on their smart phones. But at the very corner of the restaurant were two girls, one with soft brown curls and the other with her blond strands in a loose side braid. The one with the blond hair was eyeing the back of my head-- even when I turned, I could feel her presence.

“Who are they?” I whispered. Wesley’s face turned a pale blush color, and he stammered through his words. “A-- uh,” his fingers shuffled under the table. “Old friend.” I could hear the clanking of heels approaching our table, and Wesley’s eyes immediately shot to the ground, widening. “Hey Wes.”

It was the blond girl, who gently sat next to me, posture against the chair completely straight. “Bianca,” he nodded, taking in her devious stare.

She leaned over the table, picking up a packet of sweet & low. “What happened at the show last night? I waited in your dressing room but you never showed. I was getting worried.”

Her lightly lined scarlet lips inveigled his attention, I could see the anxiety pouring out of his curious gaze. “I was busy.” She clasped her lips closed, and turned towards me, eyeing my cocked head. I could tell her elapsing smile was forced. “Were you his boot--” Wesley interrupted Bianca, grabbing her perfectly polished hand.

“How’d you know I’d be here?” Bianca’s eyes widened and she turned her head, attention focusing on their touching hands. My head began to pulse. “Keaton told me.” The anger nearly radiated off of Wesley, and he immediately stood up, knocking down his tall glass of water in the process.

“I’m going to kill him.” He shoved past the platinum barbie to my left, and stormed towards the door, mumbling under his breath. Bianca turned back towards me, leaning into my vacant ear. “Remind him to pay child support.” Pleased, she got up and walked away, giggling along with her pride.

I couldn’t think. I couldn’t comprehend what was going on. I didn’t know how to react. And that was when it went black again.

I woke up next to the familiar river. The one that separated the endless amounts of green pasture, filled with small butterflies and insects crawling past me in an orderly fashion. My feet were dipped in the river, my toes practically numb.

It was fall. The leaves on the great oak tree were dying off, and the sky was shielded by a purple mask. The wind was soft and relieving to my migrane. My hair flowed with the wind, revealing my newly flushed cheeks.

I wasn’t alone. There was a man sitting beside me, humming. A fishing line was cast from his left hand, his right hand intertwined with the tall grass we were sat in. I stared at his toothy smile, where a piece of hay bobbed up and down. He was relaxed, even though the small guppies around our feet swam straight past his line. He was content, nothing near perfect, but happily content.

“Who are you?” I thought aloud, and his humming eased. His smile faded away, and he shook his head. “I’m not who you think I am,” he muttered in a deep monotone voice. It was unfamiliar, but soothing. I continued to stare at his darkened face until he broke the silence again. “Who are you?”

My brows furrowed, and I laughed, splashing my feet in the pond. “Nadine clearly.” The wind picked up. The river was slowly turning to ice, except around the areas our feet were dipped.

It was getting colder, and the sky was darkening. A storm was approaching. I looked back up at the man, for reassurance, but he remained still, until I could barely see him as the atmosphere became opaque. The last thing I hear was “You have a pretty smile.”

Author’s Note: hope you enjoyed! next week’s updates will be slow, i have MSG for one direction and two other concerts later in the week. let me know what you think xx