Chapter Thirty-Six

Chapter Thirty-Six

            When it is time for us to move to Maltha, Quinn uses himself as Morgan’s connection. The very moment I close my eyes, the hardwood under my boots shift into the feeling of solid dirt and soft grass.

            I open my eyes to see the dead world Quinn’s father once reigned. I can only imagine how beautiful and vivid Maltha once was; to see the desolate ruin must be incredibly hard for Quinn, especially now that this is the second time he has had to return here.

            I take a look at my surroundings, feeling the windless atmosphere provide no solace against the twin suns. They shine hotly on my skin, but it does not burn as fiery as the gilded blood in my veins.

            The blackened grass and withered trees offer no comfort, only bare the stark truth that if we fail once more – if I fail again – the system may never be restored. Just like this world.

        However, Cyrus’ death is what caused Maltha to fall to ruin; perhaps all it needs is a sliver of life to bring it back to its former glory.

        The clacking of metal is what reverts my attention to the others. Darren, Annette, and Morgan are listening intently to Kia’s instructions on how to properly use their guns, seeming eager to practice with the weapons. Quinn appears to be lost in his own thoughts, while Atticus sits on a nearby rock, speaking with Daneth.

        I move to stand beside Quinn, who looks at me. “The last time I visited this world, I thought that nothing could ever bring back the beauty it once held. Now, I don’t think it’s entirely impossible.”

        My smile is wide, “I was thinking the very same thing.”

        He chuckles, “I never thought that it would end this way,” he murmurs. “My father died with his last wish being that his son would come and rule in his place. It seems he never expected his second son to be the one to come back.” He rubs his forehead, “how are you sure that this will work? That we will succeed?”

        I move my gaze to the black ground, “I don’t. However, there is no perfection in trying only once. The second try is where success may lie, and if not – the third, the fourth, the fifth.” I meet his gaze, “I will fight Norun until either he or I draw our last breaths.”

                                                        #

        Darren, Annette and Morgan seem to be having the time of their lives as they practice using their weapons on a nearby tree. The shots that are continually fired ring loudly in my ears and I have to speak louder in order for Atticus to hear me and vice versa.

        “I can’t control who’s affected by it,” he explains. “I’m the only one who can still move when time slows, so all of you won’t be able to do anything until I stop.”

        “Then we can use that to our advantage,” I say. “Norun’s power lies in his rogues. His most prominent ones, the leaders, are the ones who carry out his orders and ensure that the lesser rogues keep to their tasks. These leaders are the only ones who can speak to Norun directly.”

        “If we eliminate them, the lesser rogues will be fighting blind; they will not know what to do,” Quinn understands. “Atticus, you can help us with that.”

        “When we arrive in Norun’s world, you must immediately slow down time, thus disabling anyone from moving. Since you will be the only one unaffected, you will be the one to kill the leaders,” I continue.