Chapter Three

Chapter Three.

            “The orb that the Unborn was a transportation device, however it is not one of ours,” I inform Penella as I stand before her throne in her courtroom.

            Adrian stands beside me, his body straight and shoulders back as he listens to the information I give. He had been called along with me to stand before her and report our findings.

            “I presume it is one of Norun’s creations, and is using it to transport his rogues from Valsea to another world. I believe this world is where Norun currently resides,” I finish.

            Adrian steps forward, “Goddess Penella, I have disposed of the Unborn’s body, however I had discovered something unsettling. After disposing of the body, I left and returned a while later, but the body had disappeared.” At his words, I look at him with furrowed eyebrows. “After hearing the Warrior Lysandra’s report, I fear that the Unborn had forged her death, and then used Norun’s transportation device to escape.”

            “What did she gain from doing so?” I wonder.

            “I do not know, but I feel something terrible is soon to happen,” he murmurs.

            Penella’s whisper floats through both of our minds. “Yes, Goddess,” we say simultaneously before turning around and leaving the courtroom.

            Once we have walked a far enough distance down the Hall, I turn to Adrian. “The Unborn was able to know I was following her,” I tell him. “No one is able to hear me move; the gift of stealth was from Penella and yet a mere Unborn was able to hear me.”

            He frowns, “Do you think Norun made it so she could hear you?” I nod and sit by the fountain, Adrian following suit. “I think the rogues he has been sending here were not to breach the Hall, but to observe you,” he says.

            I meet his gaze, “He must be trying to find my weaknesses so that he can send a rogue to kill me and leave Penella without a Warrior. Without me, there will be no one to lead our army, leaving Valsea defenseless,” I realize.

            Adrian does not respond. When I turn to look at him, I see that his eyes are blank – listening. I want to ask what the Penella is telling him, but that is against the rules that we are all bound to. Everyone mustn’t bother each other and cannot interfere with the Goddess’s tasks. Similar to how the Agents and Unborns must respect me as a Warrior and not question my orders; I cannot show disrespect to them as well.

            Suddenly, he stands. “Please,” he speaks, “follow me.”

            I stand and walking beside him as we walk down the way we had come from. “Where are we going?” I ask, my curiousity getting the better of me.

            “I am to show you one of rooms that are still intact. It is where I carry out separate tasks that do not relate to being an Agent,” he answers. I want to ask him what room it is, but I feel there is a reason for why he had not told me that detail.

            We walk in silence for the rest of the time, eventually reaching a section of the Hall that is in complete ruin. The stone has crumbled in large piles that block off the rest of the Hall, effectively ending our path entirely.

            This is where Adrian stops and turns to his left. A pile of broken stone shifts, reforming and piecing themselves together until it creates a large door that rivals the size of Penella’s courtroom door. This is unusual, as the doors I have seen in this Hall are almost twice as small. This room must be incredibly important.