Chapter Nineteen

Chapter Nineteen

Lysandra

        I have learned a great deal about my abilities since my first practice session. Progressing past the healing stage and moving onward to another extraordinary skill had not been as difficult as I had expected it to be.

        Fortunately, there is more to the Golden gene than I had given it credit for. My blood burns with the gilded power that I wield; the feeling washing over me as if I am a god myself. While I know now that I have god’s blood within me, I will never commit to the title. I am simply Penella’s Warrior, and I will stay that way.

       That is why when Penella’s increasingly soft voice whispers weakly through my mind, summoning me to her courtroom, I decide to confront her about how I feel.

        She seems to be convinced that at the time of her death, I will automatically take over her position as reigning goddess – something I most certainly cannot do. I must let her see the logic of my words and understand why I don’t meet the requirements to rule.

        Hurrying to the courtroom with these thoughts in mind, I open the double doors and stride confidently before her throne. “Goddess, there is something—”

        The orbs are ready… her voice cracks painfully, effectively cutting off my words.

        As she says this, a brilliant orange orb assembles itself in the air in front of me. Once it is completely put together, I grasp and hold it delicately in my right hand.

        Bring the Unborns to me… I am too weak… my abilities can no longer reach past this room…

        With a sigh, I leave the courtroom and gather the Unborns. They follow behind me as I hurry back to Penella with defeated thoughts. It seems as though I will not be able to say my piece at this moment.

        As we enter the courtroom, I hear their immediate gasps and coos of awe and wonderment. Glancing at them behind my shoulder, I watch their eyes widen in fascination and amazement at the sight of Penella’s powerful throne and statue. They don’t mention her cracked and shattering stone body, mostly because they don’t know the abnormality of the sight. Once again, I am unsure as to whether or not I should tell them that their goddess is dying.

        One by one, each Unborn kneels and bow their heads before Penella’s statue. I do the same, and then stand only a moment later.

        I turn to the Unborns who watch me with awed expressions. “Penella has done a great favour to us,” I begin. “She has created orbs for every one of you to use in battle. The purpose of the orb is to enable you all to transport anywhere around Valsea and Valsea alone. You will be able to effectively use this in terms of taking the enemy by surprise and moving faster than they can.”

        As I finish my sentence, a single orange orb constructs itself in the air before each Unborn. They take their orbs in their hands, sounds of amazement echoing around the courtroom.

        The orb has a reconstructing property that allows you to use it limitlessly… once you have used it… the orb will piece back together to be used again…

        I relay Penella’s words to the vast group as I hear them interweave themselves with my thoughts. The Unborns nod their heads in understanding, seeming like a synchronised robotic army.

        I can feel it… she whispers.

        A long moment passes in silence before it becomes unbearable, “what can you feel?” I ask, breaking the noiseless settlement.

        He is coming… I am too weak… I cannot tell how near he is…

        Suddenly, the walls begin to shift. The dust that had settled on the tops of the collapsed ceiling scatters to the ground and cloaking the top of Penella’s stone head and shoulders. The linoleum floor underneath me begin to vibrate from deep tremors outside the courtroom.

        The Unborns move around in a slight panic, startled expressions on their faces.

        That is when I hear the threatening sound of mass, loud footsteps as well as choruses of shouts and war cries. In the distance, I hear a voice that booms loudly over all others, an exclamation of battle and of revenge. It is a voice that can only belong to a god.

        “Unborns!” I shout, “This is what we have been waiting for! This very moment is where you will all put your training to work! This is your time to fight for your goddess!” Unsheathing my left sword, I raise it directly to the air, watching as every Unborn replies with cries of allegiance. “Remember,” I add, “these rogues are not immune to the waters of Valsea.”

        With these words, the Unborns sprint through the doors of the courtroom and out into the Hall. Their shouts of battle and warfare fill my ears as they bound down the steps of the staircase with metal swords raised high and metal armour clanking against each other.

        I follow the last few Unborns out of the courtroom and stop just outside of doors, my eyes following them down the staircase to meet with the rest of the army. Looking over the stone railing of the Hall, I watch with a hopeful heart as the Unborns meet the rogues head on as they charge towards the Hall’s staircase.

        Penella’s muttering voice is still present in my head, I will alert you when I am sure that Norun is coming…

        I bite my lip in anticipation of the fight; the two groups are almost near each other. “There is no need for that, goddess,” I whisper. “He has already come.”

         Then the two armies clash together.