Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

            The training room is filled with thousands of voices; shouts that echo across the walls as wooden swords clash and skin contact occurs. The army of Unborns is split into three groups; each one being led by Quinn, Blake or I. Arguments can be heard from the other end of the vast room and triumphant cheers make their way to my ears.

            Blake and Quinn appear to be having an amusing time as they observe their own group and make corrections to any faults. Blake seems to have a bit of trouble however, because of the two Unborns who consistently quarrel with one another.

            I do not smile as I watch my group of Unborns, although the feeling of joy and accomplishment course through my veins. With this army, Valsea stands a fighting chance against Norun and his rogues. Perhaps Penella may even live to help us fight in the battle.

            At this thought, I remember. Catching Quinn’s eye, I beckon him over and wait until he stands beside me. When he is close enough to hear me, I quietly tell him, “do not tell Blake that Penella is dying.”

            He looks at me with confused eyes, “why not?”

            I glance at Blake, whose blissful smile causes me to gnaw on my lower lip. “If Blake comes to know of this, he will go into hiding in order to cope with the information. We cannot allow that when Norun will attack at any time,” I explain. “He told me that he cannot hear Penella anymore; I told him that Norun has been trying to sever her communication with us and that that is the reason.”

            He shakes his head with a sigh, “alright,” he says after a brief moment of silence. “I will not tell him.”

            I give him a small smile, “thank you.”

            Quinn stands still beside me, his eyes fixed across the room at his group of Unborns. “I wanted to speak with you in private but I fear that waiting any longer may cause more problems to arise,” he begins. I glance at him; however his eyes stay trained across the room. “As I was gathering the Unborns for your announcement, I overheard a conversation between Adrian and a rogue.”

            I pinch the bridge of my nose and briefly shut my eyes. “I knew it,” I mutter.

            He crosses his arms, “The rogue was female, and they were both carrying the green orbs you had told me about. They were talking about an ambush,” he explains.

            I look at him sharply, “on whom?”

            “They did not say,” he replies, his gaze flitting to mine. “We need to warn everyone and make sure they are all aware of this.” He pauses, then turns so his entire body is facing me, “Lysandra, I am almost certain that it is you they are planning to attack. You are Norun’s largest threat and if he sees an opportunity to eliminate you, he will not hesitate in doing so.”

            I purse my lips, “I will be careful,” I promise.

            He nods, and then returns to his group of Unborns to correct a mistake he had seen. I move my eyes back to my own group, where a male directs a swift kick to his opponent’s ankles. The opponent’s eyes are on the male’s sword, entirely oblivious to the incoming strike. The opponent collapses to his knees with a grunt.

            I shake my head and move toward them, pulling the fallen Unborn to his feet. “Always keep your eyes moving and always look for an unexpected attack,” I tell him. I release my grasp on him as he nods and moves to a fighting stance.