Prologue

Prologue.

           I am not sure what it is, but it is alluring.

        There is a dim light that calls to me from behind the mass of trees protecting it. I enter the forest, eyes wide and fixated on the enticing light that wills my feet to move closer. I walk quickly, my heart thudding strangely in my chest as a feeling of anxiousness washes over me likes waves crashing through one another.

         I want to know what it is that beckons me, however it seems as though the further I step towards it, the further away it becomes.

          Yet, the light is not so dim anymore, glowing much brighter as I grow closer and closer to it, but feeling that much farther away.

            I step into a small clearing, a perfect circle that surrounds a glowing orb in the very center. My breath hitches as I watch it, floating serenely and never moving. I walk up to it, and ever so slowly, I touch it.

         It bursts; a ring of white light exploding around me and spreading past the trees, causing havoc throughout the trees as it travels onward. Another burst follows, knocking me backwards further. I struggle to regain my balance but a third burst pushes me to the ground. It continues to pulse; the wave of light bursting from the orb continuously as the orb begins to spin.

           Managing to find my balance, I stand firmly on the ground and move towards it. The orb is still calling to me, almost pleading for me to come closer.

            I do – and that is when hell erupts.

           The ground vibrates deeply, throwing me onto the dirt once more as the earth heaves upward, a scream of shock leaves me as the ground underneath me pushes up as well, launching me to the darkening sky. Rings of light surround me as the orb begins to rotate around me, spinning faster and faster until I can no longer see a defined shape of it. It flattens; the sheet of white blanketing over me as the earth continues to rise like a mountain. It pushes me upward towards the rising crescent moon.

            My heart beats quickly in my chest, my palms slick with cold sweat and my body is pressed against the ground as it rises.

            It pushes me towards the moon, further and further until suddenly, all I can see is the white light.