*43° Under The Same Sky

Nadia

"The g-girl tried riding t-the b-bicycle..." Shukra takes a couple of breathes before continuing, her voice straining.

"You're doing so well, Shukra," I smile encouragingly at her, giving her the mental boost she deserves. I place my arms around her little frame as she's perched comfortably in between my crossed legs.

A gust of wind sends the pages of the textbook fluttering, the dark grey clouds slowly shutting out the sunlight. If it starts to rain before I leave, driving myself won't be a possibility.

"Nadia?" Aunt Sima's voice flits through the opened door, and she walks in seconds later.

Shukra and I both look up, and I greet her with a salaam.

"Wa alaikum salam. Shouldn't you be going home now, it's about to rain," she utters, voice filling with concern.

I wave my hand dismissively. "It's alright, I'll just wait it out. I can't risk driving out there." Irrespective of how much driving in the rain terrifies me, I'm afraid it's a fear I'll have to conquer soon. I can't continue to let it hinder me from going out whenever I have somewhere to be.

"Alright then. How's the reading coming along?" She enquires, crouching down to catch a glimpse at the book.

"Fine, aunty Sima." Shukra beams proudly at her, her self-confidence gradually gaining with her level of progress.

"Each time I hear her speak clearly, I can't describe how grateful I am to you, aunt Sima." I tickle Shukra's sides, earning a hiccuped laughs from her.

"The credit goes to your husband, Nadia. Nevertheless, Alhamdulillah." She rises on her feet as one of the kids starts to call her from afar. "Oh, I forgot to tell you, Jahid's still around."

"Really?" A wave of relief courses through me, glad that he hasn't left yet. I'd met him at the orphanage when I'd arrived after the afternoon prayer, and we'd both chatted for a while before going our separate ways.

He'd proceeded to the classrooms while I'd gone straight to the hostel to visit the kids who were inside. I didn't think he'd still be in the vicinity, seeing as he'd only wanted to stay for half an hour.

I quickly reach for my phone to call him, muttering a silent Alhamdulilah for this intervention.

"Salamualaikum sis."

"Wa alaikum salam Jahid. Are you planning to leave anytime soon?" I ask in a rush, praying he replies in the affirmative.

"Yeah, I was just about to take a taxi," he responds.

"Oh good. Do you mind driving me home? You can take the car with you."

"Definitely, I'll head out now."

I tap the red icon on the phone, putting an end to the call. Shukra gazes up at me with sad eyes, obviously not pleased to see me leave.

"I promise I'll return when I'm less busy." I stroke her back, grinning like a Cheshire cat.

"But you're a-always busy, Didi!" She crosses her arms, her nose and lips pursed into a frown. Despite being able to say my name comfortably, she still prefers 'Didi', much to the annoyance of aunt Sima. She thinks Shukra should at least start to address me the way the other kids do, by calling me 'aunt Nadia'. But personally, I like the nickname just fine because it shows how close Shukra considers our relationship to be.

"Well, I do have so many things on my plate currently. Nevertheless, that doesn't mean I can't make time for you guys."

"When?"