*22 °Hurt & Healed (2)

Jamal

"Look who's going to be a husband soon", Tasleem jeers, showing off pearly white teeth in a teasing grin. "Hope the lucky bride is going to be able to keep up with you".

"And did you really have to facetime me from your bedroom? Together?", I cast a fleeting look at Lilo, who's been silent all along, her fingers running through Tasleem's dark locks.

He sighs, "What can I say? I'm a content man".

I roll my eyes at him, ignoring Lilo's piercing gaze. "If you have something to say Lilo, just spit it out and quit burning holes into my forehead", I say, my eyes settling on her.

We lock gazes for a few seconds, both of us refusing to back down. I don't know what's her deal tonight, especially since mom told her about Nadia a fortnight ago, and the upcoming nikkah this Saturday.

"I don't see why you have to go through this so soon", she says in a clipped tone, her expression fierce and hard.

"I don't see why not. Mom really thinks highly of Nadia, and I have no doubt about her too, so... ", I shrug.

"Jamal, you don't know this girl well enou- -"

"And look how long I knew Badra, almost two years, and yet, what did I get out of that?", I sigh, rubbing my temples wearily, "I don't have the heart to go through that a second time, and I'm sure about this, I'm sure about her", I end on a final note.

She stares at me for a few seconds, before Tasleem breaks up the tension by forcing out a fake cough. Lilo smacks his arm lightly, "Seriously? The fake cough act?"

He laughs, "It always works, besides, no one wants to witness you two bicker or argue. Like dude, do you know much glad I am you aren't around anymore?" he points at his jet-black hair, "I even grew some grey hairs because of you two", he says, laying on the exaggeration a bit too thickly.

"Shut up, Tas", I chide, ignoring his cheeky grin. "Don't make me regret letting my sister marry you".

"Pfft! You wish", he adds smugly.

I turn my attention to the other person in the room. Though I'd rather not admit it, it's a bit disappointing when Lilo doesn't agree with me on certain things, especially on a matter like this, and her approval means a lot.

"I'm still against this decision, Jamal." She says sternly, "I'd rather you take some time before settling down, and certainly not with someone you don't know. Not all arranged marriages turn into a fairytale love, and marriage isn't a thing to take as a fun adventure too".

"For someone who shares the same birthday as mine, you sure do speak like an old lady", I reply dryly, not minding my offensive tone.

"Jamal", she drawls in a warning tone.

"Jalilah", I glare at her, calling out her full name, and she glares back. "You know, for once I'm really glad you won't be able to make the wedding. So much pessimism is definitely not what I was expecting from you, and the least you could do is to be happy for me".

"So I can't look out for you anymore huh? All I'm saying, is that you should postpone the wedding. You can do it in a couple of months, what's the rush? And how sure are you about her character anyway? You can't just agree because mom likes her", she argues, her voice firm.

"Will you stop criticizing her, and she has a name, you might as well use it", I retort.

"Lovestruck already little brother? Seeing as you're defending her so much".

"That's enough", Tasleem calls out, sitting up straight. He pinches the bridge of his nose, "Lilo, darling, he's right. It's his decision, his choice, his life, and right now, nothing you say is going to change his mind, so yeah... just be happy for your brother, ok? And who knows, you might even like the girl", he placates her, squeezing her hand.