*1 °Monday's Events

Nadia

A loud noise suddenly wakes me up from my sleep. Bolting up to find my alarm ringing, I bang it down to turn it off, then recite the dua for waking up, and go prepare for fajr. A new day, normal stuff.

Though it's still 4:30 in the morning, the heat doesn't let down as sweat plasters to my forehead and mattes my hair. No one enjoys having long hair during a summer heat, especially if it's a jungle of curls like mine. I pull the collar of my shirt away from my neck, using my hand as a makeshift fan. It's even more unfortunate how very unstable the power supply is during this time of the year. Nevertheless, even the swirling ceiling fan is no match for the sweltering Nigerian summer heat.

Walking into my bathroom, I freshen up and make wudu for salat, splashing extra water on my face for a feeling of coolness. No matter how much I love to sleep, I can't go back to bed after observing my salat all because it's a Monday, oh! How I hate Mondays! Not just because I have to go to school, but because it's just Monday! Weird or what?

By the time I'm done, it's already 6:00am, and I have to be in school by 8:30 cause lectures start at 9am sharp. I make a mental note of all the chores I have to complete before preparing for school, and there's a lot to be done.

Usually, I'd wake my younger sister, Zahra to help, but she's returning back to school today and probably has things to do as well.
Two hours later, I'm done and just setting the dining table for breakfast. I can already hear the bustle going on upstairs. I guess the rest are up. Standing at the bottom of the stairs, I draw in a breath and yell "Mom, dad, Zahra! It's time for breakfast!"

"Do you really have to yell! My Allah! You scream like a banshee" Zahra says as she descends. Aah! The joy of having a younger sister!

Zahra is just a year younger than I, but she looks older. Her figure gives people the idea that she's the older one, though we're the same height.

"That's the thank you I get for doing your part of the chores?, anyway, you're welcome", I smile at her.

"I didn't say thank you," She huffs.

"Oh! You just did sis." I wink and set off to the kitchen.

"No, I didn't!" She follows me in. Oh no! Not another early morning banter. My sister can be annoying as hell, especially when she's trying to have her way or prove a point.

"Seriously, you girls! So early in the morning?" My dad exclaims as he approaches. My thoughts exactly!

"Let them at it Ali. It's how they express their love," my mom says chuckling.

"Mom, dad" I greet them and add a morning hug "salamualaikum".

"Wa alaikum salam" they reply, "did you sleep well?" Dad asks, and I nod, setting the bowl of hot, steamy pap (cornmeal) on the table.

"So, what were you girls arguing about again?" Mom asks.

"Nothing to bother yourself with," I respond, leading them to the dining area.
"Now eat! I'll be off to school soon," I serve the food and sit to join them.

"Of course, and I'm standing right here you know...ignored, but hey! It's nothing!" Zahra whines, waving her hands in the air.

I roll my eyes at her theatrics, "You know, for an 18 year old, you sure do know how to act like a child" I get up, and shove her to the table playfully. All these, my parents watch with smiles on their faces.

"Whatever," she says, "And thanks for helping me," she adds under her breath, which is so like her. Zahra dishes out apologies and thanks like a grizzly mama bear.