*39 °Just Like Family (2)

"Eid Mubarak!"

"Eid Mubarak to you too," I respond, scrolling through the list of recipes on my phone. I find the one for red velvet, and click on it, scanning through the measurements for the ingredients needed. And since I'll be baking four different cakes; two red velvet and two vanilla, I make a mental calculation of everything needed, then type them in. All four of the cakes will have both layers of vanilla and red velvet, hence, there has to be enough batter to be divided equally between them.

The blood red food colouring on the counter brings back memories from the night with Sola, and a shiver runs down my spine.

Say hi to my brothers... Those words have repeatedly been on my mind ever since, and no matter how hard I try not to bother, I can't deny that I'm not curious about the meaning behind it, if at all it means anything.

"Are you still upset with me?" Zahra asks quietly, making me glance away from the tiny red bottle to the screen of the iPad, her eyes searching. "I saw the stuff you got me from Egypt, and I love them, Jazakillah khair."

I nod absently, recalling the day I'd helped mom pack. I'd included her own share of the souvenirs I'd bought. 

Surveying her surroundings I immediately recognize the room she's in, what we call the ladies' den; it's a wide space that connects both our grandmas' apartments, specifically for the women in the family. It's where we usually hang out freely without having to bother about hijabs, or our male cousins.

"I'm over that, besides I'm sure mom and dad already chided you enough." Using a kitchen scissors, I cut open the packets of butter, dumping them into the mixing bowl. Cups of sugar from the canister go into the bowl next before switching it on. I increase the speed of the beaters as the butter starts to break into chunks.

She grins, a relieved look on her face. "They really did, and everyone was surprised to see me alone." She shrugs "Anyway, why are you baking on Eid? Shouldn't you be with your in-laws?"

I cross my arms, staring at her. "Because sister dear, I have to deliver the cakes tomorrow. Two wedding anniversaries, a birthday and a Val cake."

Yesterday being the first day of Eid, we'd gone to the mosque for prayer, thereafter the entire family had returned back home to start the celebrations. I'd helped out in the kitchen with the food prepations along with Lilo while the men were getting the cow slaughtered and skinned. All in all, it had been an eventful day where everyone had enjoyed being together again.

She shakes her head, amused. "Wow, who would've thought you'd go from baking salt cakes to actual palatable ones, I'm proud of you." She adds as an afterthought, "Hey, have you spoken with Jahid? He's not replying my texts or picking up his phone."

"I think he's still holding a grudge against you for not choosing to come home."

She crosses her legs, flipping her hair. "Ugh, he should get over it already."

I'm about to reply when the room she's in suddenly becomes noisy, loud chatter filling the previously quiet atmosphere.

"Oops, the Dalmar gang is here," she whispers before speaking with someone. I recognize the voices of my cousins as they converse with one another, some louder than others. "I came in here so I could talk to Nadia, you girls make too much noise," I hear her comment, and she suddenly gets shoved away playfully.

Another face replaces the screen, then another, till I'm staring at four of my cousins sprawled atop one another.

16 year old Rhoda speaks up first, "Hey sis! How's your Eid going?"

"Alhamdulilah Rhoda, and you all? I'm sure you're having more fun than I am."

Bushrah replies, beating the rest to it. "As always, we just finished playing football on the field and decided to come to den to hang out." She beams, her Afro coiled hair surrounding her head like a halo.