*39 °Just Like Family (1)

Nadia

I've seen lots of pictures of Jamal's twin, but seeing her in real life has a different effect, and it's like staring at a female clone of Jamal. The initial shock from their arrival hasn't worn off yet, even as Tasleem takes a seat beside uncle. With a head full of thick dark hair like his father, Riyadh races up to Jamal, receiving a hug and a pat on the head.

The living room becomes livelier with talks and activities as Hafsah helps to bring in the rest of the luggage, and Riyadh runs to the embrace of ummi and uncle, talking animatedly about the big airplane they'd flown in. Brother Tasleem also received his own share of affectionate hugs from ummi, his green eyes lighting up with joy.

"Finally decided to come visit, huh?" Jamal asks, with Jiddah still in his arms.

Lilo smiles, and is about to reply when her eyes latch onto someone else on the stairs. Her smile slips a little, her eyes filled with a blend of emotions from surprise, to love.

Jahid comes racing down the stairs, and she opens her arms for a hug. After a brief embrace he lifts her up excitedly and spins, a yelp escaping her lips as she places her hands on his shoulder, both of them laughing.

"Put me down you overgrown beanstalk!" Lilo screams amidst laughs, everyone taking delight in watching them.

Brother Tasleem walks towards her as Jahid lets go, and she looks a bit disoriented from being spun.

"I hope my jelly bean is alright," he utters, and Jahid snickers.

"Seriously brother, you call her jelly bean?"

Before she responds, Jamal reaches her side, a knowing look on his face. "That's what he called... Are you?"

They share a look between each other, and its like their own form of communication because she nods and smiles widely, her hand going to rest on her stomach in a protective gesture.

Ummi goes to embrace her, "How long?"

"I just found out a few day ago, I'm 4 weeks pregnant mom."

"Alhamdulilah, we're receiving another blessing from Him." She cradles Lilo's cheeks, bringing down her face to place a motherly kiss on her forehead.

Hafsah and Jahid make long 'awn' sounds, his hand resting above his heart for effect.

"Are you alright?"

I look up to find Jamal beside me, his gaze penetrating mine.

"I am, it's just so heartwarming seeing you guys together."

Jiddah lifts her head from his shoulder at the sound of my voice, and stares at me. I wonder if she still remembers me since we never get to talk often.

"Uncle Amal's beawiful wife," she comments, and I can't resist from smiling at her words. "Daddy said to call you auntie, may I?"

I nod. "I'd love that very much Jiddah," I reply, reaching out to hold her hand, and she rewards me with a toothy grin.

Jamal smiles at the both of us then whispers something in her ear that makes her giggle. Our interaction draws the attention of Lilo and Tasleem to us, and they turn in our direction.

Unable to read the expression on his sister's face, I stand there wondering how she'll perceive me now that we're meeting in person. The first time we'd spoken hadn't exactly been warm and friendly.

"Salamualaikum!" Tasleem speaks up first, taking the words out of my mouth. "Finally nice to meet you, in the flesh of course. Tasleem Kendrick O'Riley at your service." He adds an elegant bow, and earns a jab in the ribs.