Chapter 8

Stormflame's P.O.V:

The sun rose early that day and Stormflame padded out of the warriors den to sort out the patrols. A pawful of warriors followed him out into the main clearing and sat in a group, waiting for Stormflame to sort them into patrols.

"Okay..." Stormflame scanned the cats and said, "Sunpatch you lead the dawn patrol to the Monsterclan border. Mousenose, Bumblestrike, Foxpaw and Snowpaw will join you. I will lead one to the Magiclan border with Demonpelt, Loveheart and Ashpaw." The cats nodded and split into their patrols.

Whitetail, Bluestorm, Fluffystream, Clearlight, Blazemoon and Cloudpaw were left and Stormflame put them together on a hunting patrol.

Stormflame's patrol set off for the border. It had been reported that Magiclan warriors had strayed over the border so Stormflame wanted to see for himself if it was true.

As they reached the border, it was clear that Magiclan warriors had crossed the border. Though no one was at the border, the Magiclan scent was surprisingly fresh.

"Mark the border and keep a watchful eye for Magiclan warriors." Stormflame ordered and began marking the border with his apprentice, Ashpaw.

Ashpaw began rambling on and on about how he would tear a Magiclan cat in two pieces before they could touch him and Stormflame chuckled in amusment at his enthusiasm.

But Ashpaw's cheerfulness diminished quickly as a Magiclan patrol emerged from their territory and stood at the border. They dug their claws into the soil as if they were itching for a battle. Stormflame growled, "What are you doing here?"

"Marking the border." Secretbee hissed fiercely. Woodpelt stood beside him with two apprentices flanking them.

Stormflame felt a but nervous but didn't show it. He was a deputy! He had to show these cats he wasn't afraid of a battle.

He stepped closer and narrowed his eyes to slits, "Don't try and cross the border, rabbit chaser, or we will attack."

Secretbee returned Stormflame's scowl and growled, "No promises." 

Ashpaw growled at Secretbee, "I'll slice that grin right off your face if you keep talking!"

Stormflame shot a glare at his apprentice before turning his gaze back to Secretbee, "There will be no fighting today." He stalked away with Ashpaw following.

"Scaredy cat!" Woodpelt hissed but Stormflame held his tongue and did not react.

Stormflame led Ashpaw back to the rest of the patrol. Demonpelt and Loveheart quickly asked what had happened and Stormflame just answered, "We encountered some Magiclan cats. They didn't cause any trouble, just reminded us not to cross the border."

Loveheart frowned and Demonpelt hissed, "I'll claw their ears off for that!"

Stormflame sighed, "Let's just go back to camp and report this to Silverstar."

Reluctantly, the rest of the patrol followed Stormflame as they made their way back to camp.

_______________

Silverstar's P.O.V:

"So, Shadedmoon. Show me your powers." Silverstar smiled and sat back to watch the grey she cat demonstrate her powers.

The clearing they were standing in was on the far west side of the territory, near the twoleg border. A slight breeze shook the branches above Silverstar's head.

Shadedmoon nodded and immediately, the ground around her paws turned to ice. She flicked her tail and a small stone appeared in front of Silverstar.

"Amazing!" Silverstar gasped, "It's awesome that you can use just your tail to use your powers. We always need our front paws raised otherwise it doesn't work."

Shadedmoon smiled sheepishly, "Thanks... It does come in handy when I am in combat."

Clearlight trotted into the clearing where Shadedmoon and Silverstar were sitting and smiled, "I saw as I was approaching. Brilliant powers, Shadedmoon!"

"Thanks Clearlight. I haven't seen yours yet, however, nor have I seen yours, Silverstar." Shadedmoon gestured to Clearlight for him to start.

Clearlight stepped into the middle of the clearing and meowed, "Think of an animal. Any animal."

Shadedmoon shrugged, "A badger."

Clearlight nodded and his fur began to change colour. He grew in size and his fur turned black and white. His snout lengthened and he blurred out of view slightly before coming back into focus. In Clearlight's place was a badger! It snorted softly and spun slowly in a circle as if to show off.

Shadedmoon gasped, "Whoa! That's amazing!!"

Silverstar nodded, "I know right!"

Then the badger turned back into Clearlight and smiled, "Ta-da!"

Shadedmoon nodded, "Great! Anything else?"

"Earth powers." Clearlight meowed and suddenly, a tree began growing in the middle of the clearing. "I finally perfected the growth of a tree just a quarter moon ago."

Shadedmoon smiled, "I can do that too."

Silverstar stepped in Clearlight's place and meowed, "My turn!" She easily turned her pelt to shiny silver and grinned at Shadedmoon, who was staring in awe.

"Isn't that really heavy?!"

"No," Silverstar replied, "I don't know why either. I suppose it's because it's a part of me so if it were heavy, there would be no use for it."

Shadedmoon nodded in understanding and watched at Silverstar raised a paw and the wind started to pick up. It grew stronger until it finally died down after a few brief seconds. "Oh cool! Wind powers!!"

"Yup!" Silverstar grinned and sat back. "Now all we need Stormflame and Waterfly. But Waterfly is an elder now so she will have to demonstrate in camp. Stormflame should be back from patrol by now; its past sunhigh."

Clearlight nodded, "Let's go back to camp." He started trotting away with Silverstar and Shadedmoon following closely behind.

___________

Nutwhisker's P.O.V:

Nutwhisker was asleep in his nest.

He woke up in a dream.

He glanced around at his surroundings. He was in a pitch black clearing. He could barely see the ground as it was so shrouded in dark mist. Faint whispers filled his ears as Nutwhisker began walking and he pricked his ears to try and pinpoint the voices but couldn't. He just kept walking and with each step he took, the voices got louder and louder.

Then Nutwhisker felt the ground disappear from beneath him and he started falling in the pitch black. He didn't see any ground and let out a fearful mew as he still fell.

When he hit the ground, it was a soft landing and Nutwhisker bounced a bit. When he had steadied himself, the voices returned but they were stronger and more audible than before.

"Beware the day the Magics come to play. For if you are not ready, the Light will fade forever." The voices said in unison.

Nutwhisker narrowed his eyes, "Is this a prophecy?" But he didn't get an answer. He was suddenly plunged back into the real world but not before spotting a white cat in the distance for a split second.

He jolted awake inside the medicine den and stood up on shaky paws. "Skystar...?" He whispered to the air around him, hoping for an answer. Nothing happened so he sighed and trotted out of the medicine den to find it was just after Moonhigh.

______________