Chapter 20

Stormflame's P.O.V:

Pain filled Stormflame as he shifted to face Clearlight but found that the grey tom had left side and was sitting with his head lowered beside everyone else.

{Betrayal at its finest}

Stormflame forced himself up into a sitting position to see Rabbitstar was still there. The brown tom was growling as he watched the Lightclan cats. It seemed as if the battle was on hold.

Then Stormflame's gaze landed on two bodies on the ground. It was Vixentail and...

"Cloudewisp NO!!" Stormflame cried and raced as fast as his injured legs could carry him to Cloudwhisp's limp and lifeless body. "Please. Please wake up!" He pleaded the elder, tears slipping down his cheeks.

The grief from losing Cloudwhisp was so great, it made his agony from the wounds seem like a small prick of a bush as he brushed against it.

Cloudwhisp had rescued him when he was a newborn kit. The old white and grey tom was like a father to him. He taught Stormflame everything he knew now, back when he was Storm and he was Cloud. They lived in twolegplace, alone. Just the two of them. Their bond was so strong.

A sob shook Stormflame's body and he pushed his nose into Cloudwisp's cheek, "I cannot lose you too... Father." It was the first time Stormflame had referred to Cloudwhisp as father and it made him regret every argument and disagreement they had ever had. Then again, if they had never argued in the first place Stormflame would never had crossed into Lightclan's territory and he would have never met Silverstar.

A tail tapped Stormflame's shoulder and he looked up to see Nutwhisker, "W-when did you get b-back?" Stormflame managed to whisper at the medicine cat.

Nutwhisker wore a casual smile on his face, "I escaped."

"No duh." Stormflame muttered and stood up. "You here to treat my injuries?"

"Nope." Nutwhisker replied, "I'm just hear to say: I know what it is like to lose a family member. I lost my mother Skystar, your guardian, and I've missed her ever since. But I overcame the grief and saddness, there is no point in feeling sorry for yourself. It never solves any problems.", Then he turned away and trotted into the medicine den.

___________

Nutwhisker's P.O.V:

As Nutwhisker trotted into the medicine den, he quickly dropped the casual look on his face and raced to the herb store. He gathered herbs and prepared mixes to give to everyone.

Once he finished, Nutwhisker ran out into the main clearing to see Stormflame limping towards Rabbitstar, tail thrashing angrily.

"Leave! The battle is over!!" Stormflame yowled at the Magiclan leader but Rabbitstar just laughed.

"Not until Lightclan is chased out." He leapt for Stormflame and Nutwhisker dropped his herbs in terror. What do I do? I can't fight!

He turned to find everyone else and saw Silverstar crouched over a kit. Nutwhisker raced to her and nudged her up, "Silverstar! Stormflame needs help!"

Silverstar looked up at Nutwhisker with sad eyes, "But Birdkit..."

"He's dead, Silverstar." Nutwhisker meowed, "Go help Stormflame before you lose him too." Nutwhisker shocked himself by how calm he was acting even when around death.

Silverstar stared at Birdkit's lifelss body before nodding slowly, "He is in Starclan now..." she turned to where Stormflame was battling against Rabbitstar and Nutwhisker saw her turn her pelt to silver as she hared away from him and towards Rabbitstar.

Nutwhisker leaned down and picked up Birdkit by the scruff. His body was still warm but he was stiff and it was obvious he was long gone. He carried the kit into the medicine den and peeked outside again. Stormflame and Silverstar had beat Rabbitstar back into the edge of camp and soon, the light brown leader yowled, "I will come back! I will not rest until Lightclan perishes!" and he turned tail and raced out of camp, his warriors following.

Now that Magiclan had gone, the camp was safe and Nutwhisker darted to Cloudwhisp. The elder had already grown cold. His eyes were still stretched wide from when he was struck by the lightning and Nutwhisker placed his paw over his face to close the old tom's eyes.

Then Nutwhisker picked up Cloudwhisp by the scruff and dragged him to the medicine den and placed him beside Birdkit. Then he retrieved Bluestorm's body.

He saw there was still a crowd by the elders den and Nutwhisker trotted up to them, only to freeze in place when he saw who they were crowding around.

"Waterfly." Nutwhisker breathed and stared at her dead body. He finally mustered the strength to approach the blue-grey she cat and meowed to the cats around her.

"Come to my den to have your wounds checked." Then he grabbed Waterfly and dragged her back to where the other fallen warriors were, inside the medicine den.

Soon, injured warriors appeared outside his den. Hushed whispers of grief and saddness passed through them as Nutwhisker quickly prepared some rosemary for the dead cats to lighten the death scent coming off them.

Then he picked up the herbs needed for treating the wounds and stepped outside. "Who has the worst wounds?" He called softly to the warriors.

Stormflame limped forward followed by Blazemoon and Demonpelt. Nutwhisker examined their wounds. Stormflame had a deep bite on his foreleg and a long scratch down his shoulder but otherwise okay. Nutwhisker applied some marigold and cobwebs to the wounds. Then he fed him chamomile to help him calm down from the deathes. He pawed some poppy seeds towards him and meowed, "Eat these before you go to sleep. It should ease the pain and help sleep come."

Then he turned to Blazemoon. She had the tip of her tail torn off and the edge was jagged and bleeding heavily. "How did this happen?" He asked as he quickly grabbed some oak leaves and cobwebs.

"A Monsterclan apprentice latched on and wouldn't let go." Blazemoon rasped and winced as Nutwhisker wrapped the cobwebs tightly around the tip of her tail.

Nutwhisker frowned, "Ouch. Here," he gave her some poppy seeds and thyme, "Eat these. They will help."

Next was Demonpelt. Nutwhisker was amazed the dark she cat could stay standing. The had multiple nasty wounds running alone her back and stomach. Her right ear was torn and she had quite a deep bite on her neck.

Upon closer inspection of her paws, Nutwhisker found she had broken a bone on her hind leg. He quickly applied some comfrey and wrapped the paw in cobwebs to keep it in place. "Demonpelt, you stay in my den for a little while as your broken bone heals. Make yourself a nest.." he glanced at the nearest cat, "Bumblestrike can you go collect some moss and help Demonpelt settle down in the medicine den? Thanks."

Bumblestrike grumbled in protest but helped anyway.

____________

After a long time, all the warriors were finally healed and asleep in their dens. Nutwhisker felt quite accomplished at his work; he had treated every cats' wounds and there were still plenty of herbs spare in the hern stock. Although he had run out of thyme but he still had quite a bit of chamomile so it wasn't too much of an issue.

The dead cats were still outside in the main clearing. Stormflame, Clearlight, Silverstar and, surprisingly, Bumblestrike were sitting beside them in a silent vigil.

__________

Autumnkit's P.O.V:

Autumnkit lay beside Blackkit. They were sleeping against Rainleaf's stomach with the other kits but Autumnkit was the only one who was awake. She took the time to stare at Blackkit.

The large black kit was pressed against her and Autumnkit felt hot under her fur. She found that she really liked Blackkit, more than a friend. Even though they were only kits, Autumnkit could feel the bond. She wondered if Blackkit felt the same...

____________