Chapter 13

Clearlight's P.O.V:

It was just past dawn and Stormflame had already ordered all of the warriors and apprentices away and into the main clearing. Clearlight yawned and trudged sleepily out towards the growing crowd of sleepy warriors and apprentices.

He heard Foxpaw and Snowpaw complaining about how it was unfair that they had to wake up so early. Ashpaw and Cloudpaw, on the other paw, were chatting eagerly about the battle training they were going to be doing.

Clearlight settled down beside the other senior warriors, Fluffystream and Blazemoon. The clan was pretty much made up of young warriors as most of the senior warriors were now in the elders den.

Fluffystream bushed out his thick long fur against the cold, damp breeze. Clearlight tasted water in the air and noticed rainclouds in the distance and sighed. He hated rain.

Finally, everyone quieted down and Stormflame began sorting the patrols. "Okay.. Clearlight, Fluffystream and I will lead different battle training patrols while Blazemoon leads out a hunting patrol. Sunpatch, you lead a patrol to the Magiclan border and strengthen the scent line. Hopefully it should warn of Magiclan for a bit. Choose 3 cats for each of your patrols. Good luck everyone!"

Clearlight twitched his whiskers at the way Stormflame allowed everyone to actually choose who was on their patrol. A deputy shouldn't do that...

He shook his head and decided to pick out the 3 cats for his patrol. He noticed Sunpatch and Cloudpaw were watching him expectantly. He nodded, "You two join me."

Cloudpaw muttered a small, "Yes!" And trotted happily over to Clearlight with Sunpatch.

Clearlight saw Demonpelt trying to get on Stormflame's patrol but failing so he called the young she cat over and meowed, "Would you like to join me?"

"Sure!" Demonpelt meowed. "I guess you're a good fighter too.. Right? I only want to be taught by the best." She meowed smugly.

Clearlight chuckled, "Well, I suppose I am if you count my powers!"

Cloudpaw dug his claws into the ground, "Come on! Let's get to the training clearing before the others!!"

Clearlight sighed and rolled his eyes at Sunpatch, "Apprentices. So impatient."

They all chuckled before Clearlight led them out of camp and to the training clearing.

___________

Stormflame's P.O.V:

Stormflame decided to choose Ashpaw, Mousenose and Shadedmoon for his battle training patrol. He lead them out into the forest and passed by the training clearing.

Ashpaw noticed Stormflame passed the training clearing and meowed, "Uh, Stormflame.. You passed the training clearing.."

"I know." Stormflame responded simply and continued to walk along the pathway leading to the east side of the territory.

When they arrived at Stormflame's chosen destination, the deputy sat down and wrapped his thin black tail around his paws, "Now. Ashpaw, can you tell us where we are right now?"

Ashpaw nodded and meowed, "We are on the East side of the territory, near the border but not close enough to accidentally pass it. Though it wouldn't matter much if we crossed the border on this part of the territory because the beyond it is the Leaf-bare hunting grounds." He paused, "Or the previous battle field for the Battle of the Elements."

"So that battle's got a name has it?" Shadedmoon commented softly. Stormflame glanced quizzically at her and she quickly explained, "I heard the elders chatting about it."

Stormflame nodded at Shadedmoon and turned to Ashpaw, "Well done, Ashpaw. Brillant memory you have there. Now, all of you take a look around the see if you can notice anything different about this place to the rest of the Lightclan forest?"

After a few heartbeats of looking around, Shadedmoon meowed, "It's more dense?"

Stormflame smiled, "Correct, Shadedmoon! Do you know why I brought you here?"

{I swear Stormflame took secret classes in how to be an primary/elementary teacher lol}

Ashpaw jumped up on his hind legs, "I know! I know!!"

Stormflame rolled his eyes at his eager apprentice and meowed, "Yes Ashpaw?"

"Because..." he trailed off and then decided to explain using an example, "Let's say a Magiclan warrior cornered you in a bushy area or trapped you in your den? You would need to get out of that situation. But how? That's why you brought us here, Stormflame. To teach us how to win in a situation like that!!"

Stormflame took a while to process Ashpaw's words and then eventually nodded, "Yes, well done. Now, let's start the actual training. Ashpaw against me and Mousenose against Shadedmoon." He glanced at Shadedmoon, "And no powers."

Shadedmoon nodded, "Okay." And turned to face Mousenose.

Stormflame turned to Ashpaw and crouched down, "Attack me first. Try to use the dense undergrowth as an advantage to corner me. Remember to sheath you claws too." He reminded.

"Of course I'll sheath my claws!" Ashpaw grinned and darted for Stormflame, tail waving in excitement.

____________