Chapter 6

Stormflame's P.O.V:

"Silverstar!" A voice called from outside camp followed by two cats padding inside. It was Nutwhisker and a rogue.

Stormflame padded up to them and narrowed his eyes, "Who is this?" He fixed his gaze on the newcomer as Nutwhisker replied.

"This is the cat Alani was talking about: Shadedmoon. Where is Silverstar?" Nutwhisker kneaded his paws in the ground beside Shadedmoon.

Stormflame felt a little uneasy with Shadedmoon but agreed with a nod of his head, "Silverstar is inside the nursery, with the kits."

Nutwhisker nodded his thanks and trotted into the nursery, Shadedmoon following closely behind. Stormflame followed them and stepped into the nursery. With all the kits already inside, the nursery was beginning to fill repidly as the cats walked inside. Stormflame sat squished against Rainleaf and her kits.

Nutwhisker was introducing Shadedmoon to Silverstar while the kits played with Alani. Stormflame leaned towards Rainleaf and meowed softly, "Why don't you bring you and your kits outside the nursery to give them more space? I'll come too."

Rainleaf nodded and shooed her three kits out of the nursery and into the main clearing. Stormflame followed last and watched as Blizzardkit pestered his mother, "Can we go outside camp? Can we? Can we please?"

Rainleaf purred at her persistent kit and meowed softly, "Not until your six moons old."

"But that's in ages!" Blizzardkit argued and sighed heavily before turning to Goldkit and Shinekit. "Wanna play a game?"

Shinekit huffed, "I want to go to the medicine den, Nutwhisker always gives me an interesting lesson on herbs there!"

Blizzardkit growled, "Herbs are boring! Let's play Monsterclan attack instead!"

Stormflame settled down beside Rainleaf and watched Blizzardkit and Shinekit squabble. Goldkit sat quietly behind them, staring at the ground.

Stormflame eventually decided to intervene and broke up the arguing kits. "Why don't we get the others out here and play Capture the Leaf?"

"What's that?" Blizzardkit mewed in wonder, head tilted to the side and ears pricked.

"Capture the Leaf," Stormflame began, "Is a game where there are two teams of cats. Each team have their own special leaf that they have to keep safe inside their base. When the game starts, each team has to try and steal the other team's Leaf. If one team manages to capture the other's Leaf then they score a point." He saw the kits' eyes go wide with excitement. Stormflame's kits had arrived halfway through the explanation but they seemed to catch on. "Between the two teams is a border. If you cross that border, the other team can catch you and take you hostage inside their base. If you are made a hostage, one of your team mates have to cross over the border and rescue you by tapping you on the shoulder with their paw. Like this," Stormflame tapped Blizzardkit on his shoulder lightly. The other kits stared at Stormflame with wide grins on their faces. They clearly wanted to start the game so Stormflame quickly padded into the medicine den and found a long stick and two leaves.

He placed the stick onto the ground in the middle of camp and meowed, "This is the border." He then placed the leaves on both sides of the border at the edges of camp, "These are your special leaves."

Stormflame trotted to Rainleaf's side to see the queen's eyes were shining with astonishment, "For a tom, you are so good with kits. Even better than me; Which is good." She smiled kindly at Stormflame, "Silverstar must be so proud of you. You are a great mate and deputy."

Stormflame meowed sheepishly and shrugged, "I wouldn't say I'm great with kits... I suppose it just my fatherly instincts." He chuckled softly and turned back to the kits, "Okay, choose which side you are on!"