Chapter 10 Part I: The Lake

Marisol's POV

Marisol's POV

Current Mood: "Ordinary World" by Duran Duran

"But I won't cry for yesterday

There's an ordinary world

Somehow I have to find

And as I try to make my way

To the ordinary world

I will learn to survive.."

My eyes flew open to the sound of my Mom's voice. "Es hora de levantarse,  niña!"

The morning sun cast a long ray through my bedroom window and it took me a moment to realize today was Monday. My spirits lifted at the at the thought of new kids arriving to attend a new session of camp.  I had spent the weekend telling myself I was not crushing on Daniel anymore, only to find myself sitting around thinking about those big, brown, puppy dog eyes. Every once in a while, Matthew popped into my mind but I quickly pushed those thoughts away. Weird.

I jumped out of bed and decided I needed to be feel extra cute today. I wanted to remind Daniel what he was missing, and it also wouldn't hurt to make a good first impression on any day campers.  I walked over to my dresser and picked out my favorite shorts - they were white denim and had a navy and white flowered trim that ruffled and made my legs look really tan.  I had worn them on the last day of 7th grade and got tons of compliments from both guys and girls.  The best part about them was how comfortable they were. And I didn't care that I was still on my period. I found the blue baby tee that I usually paired them with and inspected myself in the bathroom mirror as I finished getting ready.  Not too bad.  I grabbed my bag and packed my brand new pack of gum and decided this could be a good way to make new friends.

Susana and I hastily did our make up in the giant mirror by the dining room table and I noticed she had also picked out an extra cute outfit.  Rocio ran by (she didn't wear makeup) and I could hear my Mom giving her a rundown on what she had packed for lunch.

There was a bit more commotion in the house this morning because my kid sister, Rocio, was going be joining us at camp.  I was going to introduce her to the kids and make sure she wasn't alone. As a middle sister, I rarely got to take on the duties of a big sister because they always fell on Susana, so I was taking the responsibility very seriously. 

When my Dad dropped us off, the building was overflowing with kids! My jitters danced in my stomach as I scanned the crowd for new and familiar faces.

I walked Rocio over to the day camp kids and introduced her to some of the ones I already knew. "Hey Storm!" I called out. "This is my baby sister, Rocio, and she's new to your group. Take care of her."

Rocio had these big, mesmerizing eyes that made her look young and innocent, and I couldn't help but think how Storm and her both looked like a couple of cute cartoon versions of people.  She studied Storm with hesitation.