Chapter 8: Amor Loco Part I

Marisol's POV

Current Mood: "Friday I'm in Love'" by The Cure

"I don't care if Monday's blue
Tuesday's gray and Wednesday too
Thursday I don't care about you
It's Friday I'm in love

Monday you can fall apart
Tuesday Wednesday break my heart
Oh, Thursday doesn't even start

It's Friday I'm in love..."

By the fourth morning of teen camp, I practically fell out of bed trying to start the day.  As I pulled on my black cut-off shorts, thoughts of Susana lingered in my mind about how different summer camp was for her this year. I reminded myself of my promise to be there for my sister. I couldn't fill-in for her ex-boyfriend, but I could certainly try to be a better sister.

Susana and I sat side-by-side in front of the big mirror doing our makeup at a record rate.  We were running late (as always) and trying to keep a steady hand for mascara was pointless.  I gave up and dumped it back in my caboodle and tried to tuck my pink shirt into my shorts.  

"So, you and Matthew hung-out at the pool and the bleachers yesterday...what did you guys talk about?"  Susie looked at me through the mirror and I stopped and thought for a second.  

"Oh, you know, just random stuff.  He's a funny one.  At first, I thought he was all dark and moody but he's actually really funny and kind of-"

"-A nerd like you," Susana interrupted and smiled.  "M&M..mmhhmmm."

"Haha..very funny Susie.  Matthew is fourteen and only sees me as a kid. Besides, I think I might like Daniel."  I couldn't believe I had said it out loud.  I was hoping Susie knew I trusted her with this information.  It was all part of my promise to be more open with her.

"Lla es tiempo ninas!" my Mom hollered for us from the kitchen and we knew it meant my Dad was ready to go.  Yikes!

On the car ride up to the Y, my mind kept wandering back to sitting with Matthew on the bleachers. He really didn't like hearing how Cassie had a giant crush on him but he didn't seem to mind sitting and talking with me.  He was a pretty good listener and I liked that I could make him laugh. I also didn't mind looking at those hazel eyes and golden waves of hair.  But I was sure he saw me as just a kid.

On the other hand, Daniel had rocked my world the second he spoke to me on the first day of summer camp. It was impossible to keep from smiling when he talked to me.  If I wanted to get my First Kiss at camp, I definitely wished it would be with him. After all, Matthew was older and seemed way out of my league. I knew Daniel was a ladies' man but I didn't care. I didn't know how, but I was going to make Daniel pay attention to me.

After a quick goodbye wave to my Dad,  Susie and I found a spot under a tree near the entrance of the Y where all the groups were meeting.  I didn't go looking for Daniel and decided to sit and talk to my sister.

"Did you talk to Laura last night?" I asked picking at the earth around me.

"Yeah, same stuff as always.  Drama with some girls in ballet and she's bored with the summer." Susie responded while fluffing up her hair.  It looked perfect - as usual.

I laughed.  Laura was my sister's best-friend who listened to alternative music but also did ballet.  I'm pretty sure she was the only ballerina who wore black eyeliner and worshipped The Cure.

"Have you heard from Henry?" I asked, trying not to sound nosy and found a stick to dig into the dirt.

"Ah, no...but apparently Laura has. They call each other all the time." Susie rolled her eyes and shrugged.