Three years ago: Chapter 9 - Dark Discoveries

The black of the starry night sky faded to a bland, stony gray.

I sat there in silence apart from the distant chirps of crickets, doing nothing but sitting there existing in the depths of my sorrow. Where would I.. we, go from here? What was next? Only recently had I mustered the strength to think clearly again. There was nothing left in this world for me, I knew I had decided that the moment I arrived in this strange place.

I knew I wanted to die.

Looking to Kol's tear stained face, I let a stray thought sink further into my skull.

We are the last of the Ziacans...

What did that mean?

If we were the last, then where did we belong? So many questions pounded my head, but I just added them to the rest of that growing pile.

The sound of sudden pounding feet snapped me out of my daze. A panicky feeling jolted my heart as I thrust my hands onto Kol's shoulders, forcing him awake.

"Kol" I hissed.

Kol lazily blinked awake. Seeing the panic written on my face, he lurched upright and charged to his feet. We warily scanned the trees, the beating sounds rapidly reaching our quiet spot. "Quick, behind the trees!" I followed Kol's hushed instructions, feeling the rough tree bark on my back through my dirty silk dress.

The pounding stopped.

Dim light of dawn penetrated the sky, and the first rays of the sun painted the entire forest a bright blood red. I could smell the stranger from where I hid just meters away, testing her sent on my tongue. Completely foreign.

Hard boots made contact with the forest floor. A horses anxious hooves scraped at the soil while I crept around the side of the trunk to get a better view.

I watched warily.

A young woman paced the ground with confident strides. Her brown, curly hair lay wild around her armored shoulders, and her green eyes darted around the trees and bushes, vigorously searching for something.. or someone.

"I know you're there, show yourself!" Her strong voice echoed in the seemingly empty forest.

After a long pause, she suddenly unsheathed a long iron sword, eyes going from questioning to malice in a matter of seconds.

"I said, SHOW YOURSELF!" She roared.

 I crouched lower behind the tree and a bush as she marched closer, her suspicious eyes holding still on the spot I had just been. Heart pounding, I held still.

"Don't make me ask again!" The red sun twinkled on her silver armor as she circled my hidden form, the only place in the entire area concealed in deep shadow. Using the tip of her sword, she slowly sliced between the branches of the thick bush, steadily moving twigs and leaves out of her line of sight. Panic shot through me when I finally saw the silver gleam of a swords tip emerge directly by my face, and out of the throng of thick bramble, the cold, menacing color sending me backwards in a hushed scramble.

"AHHGGG!" Without warning the woman charged through the bush, swinging her sword blindly in the dark air.

Letting out an alarmed yelp, I dodged her every perfect blow, all uncertainty I once had melting away as my instincts took over. Spinning on my heels, I took off into the undergrowth, ignoring her angry shouts and heavy footsteps behind me.

"FANDRAL, OVER HERE!" She bellowed into the sky, finally losing me in thick bramble.

Adrenaline fueling my stealthy strides, I leaped gracefully into a nearby tree, listening as the heavy thud of boots approached nearby.