Chapter 15 - Meet Nick

I just kept running.

I was almost there now; the ground was sloping upward into a steep incline as I attempted to scramble up the mountain. It became so steep, I was forced to lower onto my hands and grab onto rocks jutting out of the ground for support.

"Kol!"

The only reply was my own echo. But as I struggled to ascend the steep slope, a strange noise caused me to hold my ground.

"sssss....clink clink-sssssss.."

Little pebbles clinked and tumbled past me on the steep, rocky slope, breaking and shattering into each other before smashing into the waiting bushes below. Little grains of sand hissed across my fingers and chased the pebbles down the slope before they too, fizzled out into the undergrowth.

What th-

"BAM!!"

My heart lurched in my chest upon hearing the resounding, 'BAM' right in my ear, and without even seeing the source of the noise I knew to dodge out of the way.

A massive boulder rumbled down the slope inches from my face, leaving a wide trail of destruction as it went. Hundreds of other rocks and pebbles varying in size pursued the giant, and I watched in silent shock as they exploded into rubble one by one at the very bottom.

I gaped at the pile. What could've caused something so...?

Oh no.

It couldn't be him..

A massive, bellowing, screeching roar exploded into the air, sending another wave of rocks and rubble down the slope. It was Kol.

He shifted!

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

There he was.

The man behind it all, I just knew it was him. The way the gunmen stiffened when he entered the room; they straightened their backs and hardened their stares, like a bunch of children trying to impress their absent father.

It was him.

I had been waiting for this moment forever, knowing it could happen any given day. I would practice what I planned to say in an old dusty mirror as often as I could, so when the time came I would look fearless, strong, and wouldn't just freeze with a dry mouth as the offender would put me in chains, or throw me in a pit with alligators, or whatever they do to 'aliens.'

Yet, as I stood there glaring into his one good eye, I found myself speechless. I hadn't imagined we would meet like this, with half of me screaming to find Kol, while the other half hissing and spitting at me to shift right then and there. My thoughts were torn strait down the middle. I wanted to rip the man in front of me to hunky, bloody chunks as badly as I needed oxygen, but my own brother, the last of my own family and kind, was missing!

Of course, I hadn't planned for Kol to just suddenly disappear like that and make me all agitated and distracted. How could I focus with him gone? I was too afraid I would make a wrong choice and ruin everything. 

The leader must have noticed me fidgeting, because he laughed softly to himself, taking a step closer and shaking his head in false amusement.

"That 'Man-Godzilla' you were with is gonna be just fine, so don't go slaughtering New York searching for him just yet."