Chapter 70 - Investigation

Finished. Sorry to end on a cliffie. I will write as soon as I can.

To casareadinggirl I will post the summary of key points too, soon. Haven't written that yet, sorry. I remember it.

This may not look like it yet, but this chapter contributes to the mysterious conference Alexis had, and the reason why he stopped asking Roxanne for her decision. Anyway, enjoy~

############################################################

Annelyese cursed under her breath.

She raised her hand in the air, eyes narrowing in concentration. There she felt the energy; various charms flowing in the air, slipping through her fingertips.

Charms that weren’t here during her previous visits: a fortnight ago, a week ago, or two days ago.

The old bastard had been expecting her, then?

It doesn’t matter. It was better to keep the whole operation in secret, but plans could change when need called for it. She was already inside the third wall of the manor; her silver-blond hair was darkening to raven with every step she took towards the heart of the structure, blending in with her surroundings.

Annelyese surveyed the pathways around her in one quick second. Between her and the courtyard was the final visible defense of the manor: a palisade of polished black stakes, inscribed with protective runes that burned into the wood with glowing dark purple. She flipped her wrist; a thin pin of ice left her fingers, scraping past a stake and entered the courtyard inside, hitting the hard ground and immediately transformed into a small pool of water.

Immediately the charms on the stake reacted. Feeling the brush of the weapon, the purple runes glowed brighter, flowing out of their courses and wrapped around the stake. Soon the entire length was engulfed in eerie violet, hissing vehemently.

What now?

The palisade reacted to the lightest touch. There was no way she could leap over this – five metres tall without visible foothold. Was there anything else in the vicinity she could make use of? A misplaced cart? A loose wooden board without enchantments?

“What can you do now?”

Annelyese froze mid-movement. That voice belonged to that accursed bastard who put her under this predicament.

“Luring you here, old wretch,” Annelyese dusted her sleeves deliberately, her tone wholly cool. Her uneasiness sank to the bottom of her heart, only her own to feel.

“Be as sly as you may with your tongue, the elusive one,” the aged Grand Duke stepped into sight, arms crossed over his chest in a confident manner. “You cannot fool me. You cannot fly, Silverlight. This isn’t part of your plan. What an honour! The renowned Miracle Mage, caught in a trap set up by me, Grand Duke of Lutra!”

Annelyese kept her expression aloof. Everything he said was the truth, but…

When all is lost, keep your bearing.

It was a philosophy she took to the heart.

The young girl beamed. “I suppose you think that your defense is flawless, then?”

She raised both of her hands as if to surrender.

The old man’s eyes widened by a fraction. A sudden feeling of forebode throbbed in his head. Almost too late, he caught sight of gleaming crystals in her raising hands, hidden in the eight gaps between her fingers. He raised a hand to stop her in alarm, but her figure seemed to fade while the translucent ice pins gleamed even brighter in the sunlight.