Chapter 57 - The Weight of A Decision

Beige walls, golden carpet. Sunlight fell in the room, through  coloured panes of glass, in fascinating patterns, the light and warm coating the floor like a layer of molten gold. A desk was positioned near the window, by which a boy sat, perfectly at ease, his pencil fleeted swiftly across a piece of paper as quaver notes appeared where it touched, phrased together by complex rhythm and varying expressions. His fair hair caught light easily, appearing even lighter than its white blond.  

On his desk were his laptop, stationed to his far left, and two piles of paper, one was unused, cascading precariously near the edge of the desk, curling up in the corners where his arm pressed against, hard;  the other was relatively neatly stacked, filled with lively tiny music notes. A few more pencils scattered to the far right.  

He hit a key on his laptop, pausing the music after a cadence, and jotted down the segment that he had heard, perfectly memorised.  

There was a light knock on the door. 

Rarely would anyone interrupt when he wished for time to be alone - which was, most of the time he remained at home. Alzentis checked the time on his laptop.  Had he been inside for four hours already, losing track of time? He smiled at himself, rising to his feet immediately. 

"Ah, Renee," he smiled as the door opened to reveal a lady with greying hair whom he recognised immediately; a distant relative who had been looking after Kaizlin almost every day since she was two.  

"Yes, me," she answered with a light scowl, scrutinizing his appearance with disapproving eyes. "What were you thinking, looking yourself in the study for four hours?" 

"Sorry. I didn't keep track of time," Alzentis replied good-naturedly. His eyes landed immediately on the new bandages in her hands, and cocked his head to the side with a half-smile. Kaizlin and her had been more worried about the wound on  his hand than himself. They were even paranoid enough to pressure him to stay home due to a trifling fever.  

"You won't change," Renee sighed, "just as stubborn as your father." She raised the bandages in her hands, "now, are you going to let me in?" 

Alzentis shook his head, taking the bandages. "I can look after myself." 

"You and young Mistress Kaizlin grew up. You don't need this old lady around now," she heaved an emotional sigh. 

"No - " 

Renee waved dismissively. "Oh yes," she begun, having only remembered, "there's a young lady waiting for you outside. Are you expecting anyone?" 

He arched a single eyebrow. "Not at all. One moment please." 

He  made his way to the window slowly. A small smile of surprise appeared on his face.  His eyes lingered on the waiting figure for a moment before moving to scan his shelf instead. They found the label he was looking for. 

"Just one moment, Renee." 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~' 

Her feet barely made a sound as she treaded on the path made of grass and scatter leaves and twigs, deliberating. 

There was no shame in admitting that she was paying Alexis' words serious thought.  She didn't believe in loyalty other than to herself, to what her concience allowed. She felt no attatchment to Elrtiv or its Palace. It was never home. 

Alexis was certainly right. For whatever reason, she did not want to get married to Prince Trenton, be chained to his side for the rest of her life.  Living the glory of a princess was never important to her. Especially not when it meant lifelong imprisonment.